• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Light period and intensity in new setup …

Ossie

May I ask how long should I light my newly planted aquarium and what % of the Twinstar S should be the max.
I have a dimmer/programmer so I can ramp up and down over the photo period …

Ossie …

Wookii

I assume it is for this tank?:

I would have the light on for 8 hours with a 10 minute ramp up at the start and end (purely for any livestock you add later on), and set the light on with a peak of 40% initially.

_Maq_

It depends on many variables, and it's hardly possible to advise through a telegraph. General wisdom says to begin with lower intensity (and perhaps shorter period).
How long did you cycle the tank before planting? What's your substrate?

Ossie

My tank is not fully cycled yet, I am just gathering information for the near future …

_Maq_

Two personal* suggestions:
1. Don't play with soil substrates. Plain silica sand will save you from some headache.
2. Make 'dark cycling' lasting 6 weeks before planting.
*) 'Personal' means that I'm well aware that some others who deserve more respect than me would suggest somehow different start.

Ossie

I thank you for your advice, I will stick to the Aquasoil, I simply prefer the look.
I am only at the two week stage of a dark start but there is plenty to do.
Completing my walnut hood,
sorting out the Co2,
choosing the plants and the struggle with the hardscape …
Ossie …

eminor

Two personal* suggestions:
1. Don't play with soil substrates. Plain silica sand will save you from some headache.
2. Make 'dark cycling' lasting 6 weeks before planting.
*) 'Personal' means that I'm well aware that some others who deserve more respect than me would suggest somehow different start.
+9999 i hate soil substrates, everytime i uproot a plant it's a total mess, everytime you do that there is ammonia spike, i'll never do that mistake anymore