• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Light Sensitive?

Marios

Hi all,

I was wandering whether I could empty the contents of an all in one fertiliser (more specifically the APT E.I.) in a clear dosing container. My concern is whether they are light sensitive.

Thanks,
Marios.

clear dosing container
If light sensitive (I know nothing about APTE.1), keep dosing bottle in a second light proof container/dark cupboard. Personally I do not like 'All in One' anything. There will be chemical precipitation if it really is all in one.
Better to mix your own via 'dry salts' Many threads on this forum.

Nobody will tell you for sure. Generally, sensitive (organic) compounds should be kept (1) dark, and (2) cold to extend their durability.
Thanks Maq. This is the answer I got from 2Hr aquarist:

" Hi Marios- the compounds in APT fertilisers are not light sensitive, so it is OK!
If you are diluting for use in an auto-doser, do pay attention to possible contaminants because after dilution, the solution is more susceptible to fungus / mould if spores are introduced."

If light sensitive (I know nothing about APTE.1), keep dosing bottle in a second light proof container/dark cupboard. Personally I do not like 'All in One' anything. There will be chemical precipitation if it really is all in one.
Better to mix your own via 'dry salts' Many threads on this forum.
I was doing my own mix but unfortunately I cannot source KNO3 in Cyprus, as it is considered hazardous.

I thought the EDTA chelator degrades when exposed to UV light? Though when in doubt, keep it in the dark. Chilling it might cause some of the stuff to fall out of solution.

I wonder why they decided to use three different chelators.

I was doing my own mix
I see all the attempts at home-made all-in-one fertilizer rather unfortunate.
Either you're not advanced/diligent enough for studying the formulas; then you better use some commercial blend and hope it'll work for you.
Or you are a true enthusiast, and then it hardly makes sense to blend compounds together. Keeping them separate provides you with an option to adjust dosing of all nutrients according to the development in the tank.

Hi all,

Unfortunately all nitrate (NO3) compounds are potentially explosive. Urea (CO(NH2)2) might be an option? You would need to dose a smaller amount more frequently. I'll add in @Zeus.

cheers Darrel
It might be an option. Just need to check out where to buy from in Cyprus.
Thanks

I see all the attempts at home-made all-in-one fertilizer rather unfortunate.
Either you're not advanced/diligent enough for studying the formulas; then you better use some commercial blend and hope it'll work for you.
Or you are a true enthusiast, and then it hardly makes sense to blend compounds together. Keeping them separate provides you with an option to adjust dosing of all nutrients according to the development in the tank.
Noted with thanks.

Back