• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting advice

I'm quite sure watts isn't the best way to go about LED lighting, most are measured in PAR.
If you look at manufacturers website they normally show how big an area they cover so you can see what size you need or whether you need multiple

Well so what should be standard PAR for each Gallon!!

Like for normal PLL or T5 we assume 3 watt per gallon.

I've no idea is the simple answer. I'm far from the best placed person to help you but if you are looking for an off the shelf product then why not just go by what the manufacturer recommends for a particular light?

I have had a look through various other threads but just not finding the answers I'm looking for. I have an aquarium 800x550x450mm 31x22x18" (LxWxH) and am looking for a light to go with it, I'm undecided yet as to exactly which way to go but I will see how it goes.

My ideal lighting would be controllable by programming (whether that's USB, bluetooth or similar I am not bothered) it would be nice to have a moonlight function to enjoy the tank of an evening also.

Open to suggestions

Hi Andrew,

Sharing my own limited experience with LED lights. First some caveats - my previous experience in lighting with planted tanks are Aquazonic T5 which is the staple in my part of the world. I used them for years with relative success and on the occasions when I get lazy with filter maintenance, WCs or CO2 top-ups, I get outbreaks of algae. Then I went from the T5 to the Aquazonic LED - non adjustable. I found the reduction in heat output much better for my planted tank and I did away with a blowing fan for maintaining my water temperature. Honestly, I did not do much research on those LED lights but I found them great for plant growth (tiger lotus, wisteria, etc). Admittedly these plants are easy plants (I think).

Last year Jun, on impulse, I went for Aqua Illumination Prime (aka AI Prime). I think it has the customisations that you want - adjustable lighting for each spectrum (White Cool, Red, Green, Deep Blue, Blue, Violet and UV). My version is the older model called AI Prime. The newer ones are the AI Prime HD. It is adjustable 24/7. You may want to check them out if it is available in your part of the world.

Thanks SG, I've had my eye on those but not got them yet. Have you hung them on the wire? If so how do they sit!
I used the goose neck fixtures which are quite sturdy and well made. I think mine was the 18 inch.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Try Timons thread List of LED fixtures for more info. I find looking up and reading example George Farmer and others set ups ,noting tank size,make of lighting etc a good way to find answers ,also most reputable lighting companies in this field will reply with queries.My own thinking is avoid too cheap and too expensive

Back