• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

lighting ebay on ebay?????

Roddy123

Seedling
Hi guys,

Since early June I got hooked by fishkeeping, I bought myself a second hand juwel rio180 with a second hand canister filter. At least this way if I get bored I know it wasn't major financial loss. I started without any idea what I was doing but with some advice from some friends of mine I started off by adding a layer of JBL substrate 1/2" at the bottom then 1" of sand on top. It all worked alright but some of the stem plants where not going great. I used the original T8 bar but after long research and time I have realised that it was not sufficient enough to get them going the way it should be.
Soon after this a friend donated one of his 150w cfl growlight used for normal plants and it worked really well.
But that didn't last long before the first signs of fert deficiency. I dosed easy life profito, nitro, phosfo and esay carbo. After a bit pruning it all good.

About 2 months ago finally got myself a pressurized Co2 system and that made things really going.

Nearly no algea problems, 40 to 50% water change, 3hours t8 lights then cfl+t8 for 4 hours and 2 hours t8 again. Plenty of ferts and water flow using the spray bar from ex filter and power filter from int filter.

No I am really happy now how things are going, only the general appearance of my tanks looks a bit tatty and tired. The layout and the combination of my plants is looking sh&t. their are also loads of scratches on the inside of the tank( my fault, never use magnetic scrub with sand). So I have decided in January to go for the full aquascape setup. 90X45x45 optiwhite tank+ nice cabinet+ new filter+ new substrate+ new light and new plants.

I have been looking for a 4Xt5 from Arcadia but it's rather expensive so I had a look around on the old ebay and found for £189 from "allpondsolutions1", has anyone seen those before and is it a true bargain. It has dual control so I can turn down half when ever.

Also do you have any idea what should go for filter, i was thinking getting a FX5 brand new one on ebay again for £134.
And also any adivice on substrate, I am quite tempted to go for Nature Soil.

My idea is to half the tank with foreground Hc and Parvula and then some stelleta surounded by plenty of crypts and rocks and ricia on bogwood. I still thinking how I am going to it but I still have time before filling up the tank.

Anyway if you guys have any ideas send me a post and I'll be looking forward to discuss on the forum.

Thank you and Merry Christmas to all of you.

Ps: To whom is interested in fishes I would like re home them for free, Location North Cornwall. I have 3 angels, 3 Polkadots, 2 pearl Gouramies, 4 platies, 1 rubber nose plec, 2 SAE and redline torpedo. I am willing to let them go in January until feb.

not seen the actual lighting unit in question before but I know all pond solutions are supposed to be decent enough quality for the price.

They do a good 2000lt hr filter with built in UV too, my mate swears by his!

I would have guessed that there is not much that can really go wrong as long as the ballasts are well manufactured.

What about uv filters? I have always thought a uv filter would kill bacteria, so in this case it also would kill the beneficial bacteria too?

Sounds like you have done quite a bit of homework & are prepared to invest in decent equipment. :)
A lot of folk are trying to reduce lighting periods & intensity nowadays so perhaps 4xt5 is not necessary for a tank of your chosen dimensions.
Most of us use 2 x t5s & have very satisfactory plant growth - light is one a three essential factors for algae free success but to much is a definite cause of algae unless you really up the gas & ferts to match!
Good C02 distribution is normally the reasons for poor plant growth or algae problems so concentrate on a good reactor or diffuser & think how you will get a completely even distribution of C02 throughout your tank.
Fertilisation is pretty easy now as there are some very good threads on the forum showing you how to mix dry powders & the dosage required, one forum sponsor sells ready mixed dry powder to make it even easier!

Thank you for the compliment.

I have read hawful lot but the more I read the more I can make conclusions that their are some many ways of being effective. As you have mentioned some people beleave in high power lighting and some other as you, beleave in lower power lighting.
As I have mentioned I have been experimenting with different lighting timing. I would like to try just with 2xt5 but I want to sure that I get best the balance. I would guess also really what plant I would be using.
Stem plant from I what experienced and from what I have been reading needs plenty of lights. Hc for example is more flexible, parvula from medium to high. So I would guess 4xt5 at different timing wouldn't be so bad. From what I also comprehended is that to low fert and the wrong is also a major factor. For co2 I tend to place my drop checker every week somewhere in the tank so that I know that I don't have any dead spots. But so far so good always in the green, so I would the circulation is spott on. Fert wise I just go with the labels recommendation and split the lot in 3 doses per week except the profito in 6 doses. I get I little a bit green algea but I am on top of it. Fert wise ratio 1:16 phosfo: nitro. I would like to try dry fert but I'll wait until I finish my easy life stuff. On the long run it will a lot cheaper.

Anyway I think it's taking in what you recommend. So let's say 2xt5 what kind photo time would you give?

I use two T5s for 6 hours a day & I use a T8 for one hour before the T5s & one hour after the T5s.
However my tank is established & mature so I don't want to much growth or any algae - you could try 6,7 or 8 hours to suit your needs.
My gas comes on 2 hours before the main T5s & off 1 hour before T5s go out.

Back