• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for a 18" tank

angelfishguy

Does anyone have any suggestions or links as to what lighting fixtures would work if i was aiming for a high tech tank?

Jay

Hi,
You've got lots of choices so just find a fixture that fits the 20 inch tank length and try to follow the WPG rule of thumb. If the fixture is T5 just try to maintain about 2WPG. If the fixture is T8 then you can go a little higher since the T8s have a lower output. You can use a luminary, which you can find on ebay, at our sponsors or just about anywhere, to fit any budget, or you can modify your hood if you have one by inserting Compact fluorescent bulbs.

Cheers,

Thanks Ceg,

Its an open top tank so i need it to look nice but i am having trouble trying to find a 20" luminaire that is not outragously expensive and most that i find come in 24" sizes :(

Hi mate,
Oh yeah, I see. That's probably because the fluorescent bulbs themselves only come in specific sizes. In that case you might have to look into LED or hybrid-type fixtures which will not be limited by the bulb length specification.Or you might have a look at the clip-on type lamps like the Arcadia Arc-pod

Cheers,

Hi Jason is there any way you you can hang the light from the ceiling, 4" probably won't be that noticeable.

@ danmil3s. Are you talking about the 150w MH?

@ Ceg, would 2 or 3 of the lights i linked in the post above able me to keep demanding plants with good c02 and flow? Or are they usless bulbs?

Sorry I wasn't very clear was I. I just ment if had a light that was a bit longer than your tank, like a 24" unit if it was a bit hire you might not notice the difference.

angelfishguy said:
Hi mate,
Any light is useful, including these. It's just a matter of whether you like the color cast that the bulbs present and whether you find it aesthetic or not. Those will work fine and I think they use those energy saving bulbs, at least I think that's what the 2U-3U specification refers to, something similar to the bulb shown here=> http://zjlamp123.en.ec21.com/Energy_Sav ... 07590.html
It's odd that they don't show the bulb in the advertisement but I think that is what it might use. You ought to be able to get these at Tesco so it would be really inexpensive. Whether you'll like the colors I cannot say. It's also not clear how the bulb socket seat is sealed. That's another mystery not clarified in the Ad. Water vapor will migrate into the socket and corrode/degrade the connection if not sealed properly. That's why I suggested the Arc-Pod because it's a known quantity. These particular lamps, while unquestionably will grow plants, are a question mark in terms of construction and durability. I love the price though, it's my favorite feature about these lamps, being the notorious cheapskate that I am. :thumbup: It's definitely worth the gamble, no doubt about that.

Cheers,

Back