• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting for a 60cm planted tank

kevinliew

Seedling
Hi, I'm thinking to make a 60x30x36cm, it will be a heavily planted tank with MC, Rotalas, Moss and baby drawft tear. I saw this T5HO lighting sets online, which one do you reckon I should go with?

- 4*24W - 6500K*2 and 10000K*2
- 2*24W - 10000K*2

Thanks!

2x 24w is fine.

I have 4x24w but only use 2 on my 2ft

The other 2 only get switched on for photos.

Okay, this could be slightly out topic, but for red plant, should I pick 6500K or 10000K? Or mixed?

To get red nice reds (like in my avatar pic) I cheated and used a purple tube to extenuate red beyond real life (a reef tube called KZ Fiji Purple).

That said, red plants will grow under 6500 or 10000. At worst you'll get a red-rust colour in ar mini. Just get the temp you like the look of. 10000 is very white imo and 6500 is a bit yellow. I'd get one of each, but it's your call. If you're prepared to spend a few dollars look into getting the giesemann tropic and super flora combo.

Redness is also a function of plant stock (i.e. how healthy the plant is at the beginning), good fe levels, good co2 level. And I believe starving the plant of no3 brings out redness too (keep no3 around 5-10).

Back