• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting over non-CO2

GillesF

Hi guys

I'm rescaping my dad's tank which will be a 500 liters non-CO2 aquarium. At this moment he has 2x 36w T8 (no reflectors). I know non-CO2 need low light to keep algae at bay but I have the impression that his current light setup will be too low for the plants?

Any advice? Should I simply double it?

Cheers
GIlles

What's the depth of the tank? Reflectors make a huge difference and might be a good cost-effective middle ground depending on tank depth.

What are the tank dimensions mate? i would say that 72w T8 on 500ltrs is pretty low. I would suggest you could double that light and still be within the non co2 boundaries.
Thats not to say you couldnt grow plants now, ferns and anubias will almost grow under a candle!
You'd be surprised how little light a lot of plants need to grow when they have adequate nutrients, albeit slowly...

As an idea for you I am running 2 x 54w T5's with reflectors over my Juwel 450l Vision. The dimensions of this tank are 151cm x 61cm x 64cm. This set up has no CO2, sand substrate and minimal ferts from root tabs and a little water column dosing. I grow crypts, anubias, apongeton vallis etc.

Andy

The tank is about 150x50x50cm so more like 400 liters. We'll be keeping crypts, java ferns and vallisneria. The problem is that my father is on a low budget (I can spend 100€ on plants and probably 50€ on equipment ...)

Back