• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting recommendations

Mattant1984

So im currently running a couple of Nicrew LED lights in my 24x18x18 low tech however I feel the light they put out isn't very nice to look at and I find it very yellow looking.

I'd like to upgrade so something like a twinstar or chihiros that would show better colours in the plants and fish but would also that be OK if I was to upgrade to high tech and add co2

I also wanted to know if you can run a higher powered light such as a twinstar without having co2??

Obviously the light would be on a lower power

In addition to what @hypnogogia said above, with the new lights I would just start out with a perceived intensity (and hours) that matches your current setup with the Nicrew LED, but with a color settings that makes your tank look better. If needed, you can then later on start tweaking the intensity in small increments.

Cheers,
Michael

In addition to what @hypnogogia said above, with the new lights I would just start out with a perceived intensity (and hours) that matches your current setup with the Nicrew LED, but with a color settings that makes your tank look better. If needed, you can then later on start tweaking the intensity in small increments.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks @MichaelJ another question I have is because my tank is 18 inches front to back I am using 2 lights to get enough light coverage.

With a better quality light will I get more spread with it??
Don't really want to buy 2 new lights

Thanks @MichaelJ another question I have is because my tank is 18 inches front to back I am using 2 lights to get enough light coverage.

With a better quality light will I get more spread with it??

yes, some of the better quality lights provide more spread as far as I know - you will have to ask around and compare specs (@oreo57 is our light expert, he may be able to provide some pointers...) - alternatively you can raise the light above the tank if that is an option.

Cheers,
Michael

yes, some of the better quality lights provide more spread as far as I know - you will have to ask around and compare specs (@oreo57 is our light expert, he may be able to provide some pointers...) - alternatively you can raise the light above the tank if that is an option.

Cheers,
Michael
I can't raise the light above really as it's in a hood, I will see if @oreo57 can give me some pointers. Thanks again for your help Michael

You choice of light might be more limited as not all are suitable for under hood use.
Saying they are in a hood isn't exactly true, I have an open top ND aquatics tank however use some white perspex on the top as it looks a bit odd open topped.

Not to say I couldn't remove the top or alter it in some way

Attachments

• 20230427_192559.jpg
    20230427_192559.jpg
    980.7 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230427_192603.jpg
    20230427_192603.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 72
  • 20230427_192852.jpg
    20230427_192852.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 67
Back