• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lighting time?

Martin cape

Hi guys,

Got all my CO2 stuff and EI salts delivered now :). So, gonna have a busy weekend.

Only question I have, is how long should I have the lights on for?

It is a Juwel Rio 180, with 2x 45w T5's. I will dose co2 to 30ppm and I will be following the EI dosing from Estimative Index | FluidsensorOnline.com

I will be adding Magnesium Sulphate to increase GH slightly too.

O yea, I'm also adding a 900 l/ph Koralia to aid flow.

So, my question is, once all that is sorted, what would be a good length of time for the lights to be on?

Plants I have:

~ 10 Java Fern (a lot of little ones)
6 Amazon Sword
A corner full of Vallisneria Spiralis (God they multiply)
Flame moss

To go in:

1 x Alternanthera reineckii lilacina
1 x Heteranthera zosterifolia

Thanks in advance guys.

I will be doing 50% water changes every week too.

Will the unit still light one bulb if one is removed?

I was informed to take it down to 6 hours a bit ago. I don't really want to take one bulb out as it might not light the tank properly with them being on either side of the unit.

I use reflectors too, dunno what effect that will have aswell.

from my knowledge it should do, and i can understand where your coming from. i dont really want to go down to one bulb either but if it reduces the algae........ removing the reflecters will reduce the intensity if its easy enough to do. my personal opinion if you dont want to remove a bulb is to remove the reflector and start on 6 hours. just stay on top of your water changes and keep an eye on things.

Cheers. Ill try that. Ill start at 6 and go from there. I like the reflectors as it stops the light shining in my eyes when I lift the lid lol

Hi,
if your worried about too much light you can use the reflectors to reflect light away from the water rather than towards it by simply twisting them under the bulb instead of over. You can twist each one so that you get an even spread (front and rear) at much reduced intensities which will benefit you whilst optimising co2. I feel that the 2x 45w t5 ho lights lights with reflectors is a lot of light over a juwel tank, especially as they aren't deep. Another way to reduce intensity in fixed light position systems is the addition of floating plants to diffuse light.
i would start on a 5 hour photoperiod, 6 maximum and slowly work up from that over the coming weeks if all is going well.
Cheerio,
Ady.

For what it's worth, i'd agree with starting with 5 hrs
Also, slightly off topic.Have you considered daily water changes for the first couple of weeks.Helps to cut down on algae problems in the long term IMHO

For what it's worth, i'd agree with starting with 5 hrs
Also, slightly off topic.Have you considered daily water changes for the first couple of weeks.Helps to cut down on algae problems in the long term IMHO

yes is is what I would advise too, I don't think Juwel light units work with one of the tubes removed either.

Back