• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

limnophila sessiliflora

Hooky

I finally received my plants yesterday and spent the evening planting my tank. However I have some questions regarding the above plant. I wasn’t expecting to receive plants that were already 40+ cm tall, I was totally unsure on how to go about planting these and was reluctant to start trimming a new plant before it had even been planted so I just split the plant as best as possible and planted directly into the soil. Any stems that did break off presumably in transit or my rough handling I just planted directly as well. So I would like to know can I trim these extra-long plants as it currently looks unsightly. Secondly the plants I received have rather long stem in between each bushy section of the plant is this due to nutrient deficiency or lack of light?

Any tips on this particular plant would be most welcome. I am currently attempting to grow in a low tech tank with no added ferts or CO2 at the moment.

Hello hooky,
I had this plant in a high light, high co2 and it grew from about 2 inches tall to well over 12 inches within a 7 day period and mine too also grew with long stems between each node of leaf

I have read that they seem to grow better in a low tech set up

As for trimming, I just trimmed above the node of leaves and it sprouted within a day and then grew so quick this is why I suspect the long internodes

I did try to counter this by planting loads close together so different plant heights covered the stems of other plants, which seemed to work and it looked

Hope any of this information helps and good luck, Luke

although its been less than a day since I planted is it safe to trim to the desired height now?

Also what growth should i expect in low tech set up?

Not quite "no CO2" but this Tropica layout shows L sessiliflora growth under relatively low light/minimal CO2 conditions

I sometimes plant the growing tips & discard the lower portions (treating an overgrown pot plant more like a stem "bunch") - it looks nicer ;) - but you can certainly keep both portions if you've the space

I have Limnophila Heterophylla (think it is similar?) in low light but with ferts and Liquid carbon. It grows about 3 to 4 inches a week with about an inch between each node of leaf. when it gets too tall i trim and replant the cut stem. After a bit the bottom section looks a bit scruffy so i pull out and replant the new top section. It seams to respond well to trimming.

Back