• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid Carbon... which plants fare best?

Ady34

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi,
looking to start a nano set up and dont want to go down the pressurised c02 route. Im going to be using Flourish Excel as a carbon source and want to find out what successes people have had with only using liquid carbon and ferts. Tank volume is 55l, lighting 18w PL, ada amazonia powder substrate. Which plants have done well for people and which ones failed. Hopefully this will help in compiling a plant list. Would like some form of carpeting plant, and some ideas for nano stems too..... was thinking green rotala as its supposed to be relitively easy. Also considerations are blyxa japonica, cperus halferi, tenellus, im definitely going to be using some mosses and anubias nana petite, but what else will work?
Thanks,
Ady.

There is one from me. No CO2. Ferts - Easy Carbo, Profito, KNO3 and KH2PO4.
Picnicspot.jpg

Hi Aquadream, is that some sort of bolbitis and whats the foreground plant please that looks like a great choice....did it take long to carpet?

Iain, thanks, ill maybe steal some microsorum petite from my Studio tank.

Ady34 said:
Hi Aquadream, is that some sort of bolbitis and whats the foreground plant please that looks like a great choice....did it take long to carpet?

Iain, thanks, ill maybe steal some microsorum petite from my Studio tank.
The plants in my picture are Bolbitis Heudeloti and Lilaeopsis braziliensis. The Bolbitis is growing very nicely without CO2. The lilaeopsis is slow and quite small in size without CO2, but that makes it very suitable for small nano scape in non CO2 set up.
The picture is from aquarium that can take only 32L of water.

Thanks, thought it looked like Lilaeopsis but then thought it looked too small, like you say, ideal it grows this way for nano tanks without c02.
Ive seen lots of bolbitis heudoloti that looks very different in leaf form to mine, it must be effected by different aquarium set ups, lighting, ferts etc.
Lovely looking tank by the way.
Cheers,
Ady.

Does anyone know of a dwarf bolbitis variety and how this does with liquid carbon dosing. Im sure ive seen them somewhere within the site.

Hey Ady, my Kitchen nano also just uses easycarbo and TPN+. It grows great, there is some Hc in there now which is growing albeit very slowly. Most plants do OK in a nano IME.

ianho said:
Hey Ady, my Kitchen nano also just uses easycarbo and TPN+. It grows great, there is some Hc in there now which is growing albeit very slowly. Most plants do OK in a nano IME.
Cheers Ian, ill look up your nano journal and see your specs :geek: .
HC grown exclusively with liquid carbon sounds good, maybe due to slow growth i could go for quantity from the start to get a carpet effect :shifty: .
I think your probably right about most plants, if c02 hungry HC and bolbitis can grow with it, it must just be a case of slow and steady which will make pruning etc easier.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back