• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Liquid Fertiliser - Opinions?

Sentral

So I'm trying to get everything sorted so I can finally start planting; and I'm wondering which liquid fertiliser to get.
I've heard good things about Tropica, but I've just come across the APF stuff. Anyone used this? Looks pretty good value if it's decent. I'm a little worried though as it contains NPK it would increase my chances of algae and cause problems

Any advice would be great

cheers

Hi all,
APF stuff. Anyone used this? Looks pretty good value if it's decent.
All the plants "care" about is the amount of nutrients, they can't see the name on the bottle, or the combinations that the elements were in before they went into solution. A Mg2+ ion is a Mg2+ ion whether it came from "Epsom Salts" (MgSO4.7H20) or magnesium nitrate (MgNO3), what differs for the differing compounds is the amount of each element they supply. For magnesium it doesn't matter, but for other elements it does, ammonium nitrate NH3NO3 supplies 33% N, but 1/2 of it as the, toxic to fish, ammonia (NH3).

Nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) (NPK) are the macro-elements, these are the building blocks of the plant and the compounds they need most of to grow. In fact all though they are grouped together there are differences, with plants needing about the same amount of N and K, but only about an 1/8 as much P. All the other essential elements are needed in smaller amounts, in some cases like magnesium, calcium (Ca) and iron (Fe) in fairly large amounts and in other cases like copper (Cu), boron (B) or zinc (Zn) in very small amounts, these we call the micro or trace elements, and many of them are toxic in larger amounts.

I should really be talking about ions rather than elements, as if essential plant nutrients are bound in an insoluble compound, like the Iron phosphate complexes you get at high pH, they are unavailable to the plant.

For that reason we often use 3 different solutions, a macroelement solution with K+, NO3- and PO4- ions, a microlelement solution with all the other essential nutrients, other than iron, as ions and iron as a chelated form, because of the difficulties of keeping iron ions in solution.

Opinion on the ideal amounts of each of these elements to have in solution will differ, dependent upon a variety of factors, probably your best bet would be to read through the stickie and threads, possibly starting with this one <http://www.ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8592>

cheers Darrel

Nice post Darrel!

Tropica Plant Nutrition Plus for me, simple and very effective.

Good luck with your new tank, read, read and read some more :)

Yeah this is for my nano, so I want a system that's pretty easy and straight forward to dose.

Thanks for that dw, very helpful!

Hi all,
For a small tank the branded fertiliser like Dan's suggestion makes perfect sense. As soon as you get into big volumes of water, it is worth buying bulk amounts of dry powders. All you need to remember is that you need more macros than micros, and iron needs to be chelated but you don't need a lot of it.

I should have high lighted James C's excellent "James' Planted Tank" <http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/index.htm>, which has a lot of useful information. Here is his mixes comparison: <http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/traces.htm>.

cheers Darrel

Back