• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

List of plants for Excel Nano

Jaap

Hello,

I will start a new 20L nano tank, 7w light, Excel for carbon source and probably lean EI or PPS. I have a list of a few plants to chose from:

Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Limnophila aromatica
Microsorum pteropus
Pogostemon helferi
Pogostemon erectus
Rotala rotundifolia
Riccia fluitans
Staurogyne repens
Utricularia graminifolia
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Didiplis diandra
blyxa japonica

Which ones do you suggest to get from the list?

Thanks

Riccia is not a big fan of gluteraldehyde. The others are OK. Other than that the choice is really up to you.

Cheers,

In order of most hardy to least hardy. This is by no means a definitive order because there are different scenarios or combinations of environmental stresses (such as light intensity) that can cause grief. So swallow this with a grain of salt. I'm just using the delimiters you've listed as middling CO2 via liquid carbon + resistance to liquid carbon toxicity. If your delimiting parameters were different, say, zero CO2 enrichment, then the order will also be different and Riccia would be at the top. Other hobbyists will also have different experiences, their order will differ, and I wouldn't quibble. The species at the bottom half of my list are those that are fussy about CO2/flow/distribution generally.
DO NOT TAKE THIS LIST TO PARLIAMENT FOR APPROVAL!

Microsorum pteropus
Rotala rotundifolia
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Didiplis diandra
Limnophila aromatica
Staurogyne repens
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Pogostemon erectus
blyxa japonica
Pogostemon helferi
Utricularia graminifolia
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Riccia

Cheers,

You should definitely get some Staurogyne. I have it in my nano and it grows really well. You can start off with with just 1 or 2 pots and as it grows you trim the tops off and replant them. It gives a really nice carpet. :)

Back