• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Little bit of nature

only problem I had was I had to add more light for my high tech setup which was easy enough I just added another 39w t5 under the hood

When I had the tank full of big cichlids I used the lid and T8 lights provided for under the hood, before long I'd reached the sell by date and got sick of the whole set up (mainly the cats using the tank lid as their favourite nap spot with it being so warm from all the heat the T8's were pumping out and that I picked and mixed all the wrong fish). Now the lids gone (and fish) and I'm using some Boyu T5's, happy days.

When I had the tank full of big cichlids I used the lid and T8 lights provided for under the hood, before long I'd reached the sell by date and got sick of the whole set up (mainly the cats using the tank lid as their favourite nap spot with it being so warm from all the heat the T8's were pumping out and that I picked and mixed all the wrong fish). Now the lids gone (and fish) and I'm using some Boyu T5's, happy days.

Yeah tbh I reckon I will end up getting rid of the lid and getting over the top lights I like the whole open top tank, gives a new perspective and different viewing from above, yeah but we all learn from our mistakes mate no one was it right all the time

Looks cool mate what the plant that grows out of the water? Or at least slightly on the water lol I love the fish choice very refreshing having something different on here for a change :)

Cheers mate. Glad you think its refreshing because it is, I mean how many planted Goldfish tanks do you see? Not many. I've only had a stab at the tank and there's no real vision atm just things that I want to buy like certain plants and put them in terracotta pots with a bit of Tropica soil and gravel on top so it doesn't get fired about by the Goldfish. Early days and I'm in no rush to turn it into something miles better.

Yeah you've got to go for the open top type tank eventually. One of the pro's is not having to faff about with condensation trays and cleaning them, you lift them up and water runs off them man it was a ball ach. Once you've got rid of the lid you could try something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlissHome-I...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1268409046&sr=1-1 and try the plants you asked about - Spathiphyllum wallisii and Dracaena braunii.

Cheers mate. Glad you think its refreshing because it is, I mean how many planted Goldfish tanks do you see? Not many. I've only had a stab at the tank and there's no real vision atm just things that I want to buy like certain plants and put them in terracotta pots with a bit of Tropica soil and gravel on top so it doesn't get fired about by the Goldfish. Early days and I'm in no rush to turn it into something miles better.

Yeah you've got to go for the open top type tank eventually. One of the pro's is not having to faff about with condensation trays and cleaning them, you lift them up and water runs off them man it was a ball ach. Once you've got rid of the lid you could try something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/BlissHome-I...r_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=kitchen&qid=1268409046&sr=1-1 and try the plants you asked about - Spathiphyllum wallisii and Dracaena braunii.

Exactly I've seen a few with a lot of wood n rocks but never really seen a well planted goldfish tank be interesting to see u do it cuz my little girl loves goldfish n I wouldn't mind setting up a nice one for her

Yeah tbh that's what annoys me with my as soon as I lift it the water runs right off onto the floor lol

Yeah definitely I'll have a look into that mate and cheers for the plants name bud there stunning

Bit of an update I've decided to make this low tech from now on getting rid of the co2 due to the amount of time spent on this tank my little boy even pointed it out that I spend to much time on it n never have time for him lol so made me think I was doing to much n made realise what matters

I will be keeping it up and running just going to do a bit of a rescape with low tech plants n see what I come up with at the weekend :)

here are the new updates as promised

ive added 4 more harlequin rasboras 1 more cory n 3 more ottos, the tank has just the right amount life in it now not enough to look crowded (i cant stand crowded tanks) but enough to be interesting to watch

i removed a bit of the ada aquasoil along the front and added a bit more sand personally i think it makes it look alot better and creates alot more depth

12999725_10209357623636464_1573414780_o.jpg

13016510_10209357623756467_1554208002_o.jpg

13016780_10209357623596463_1230275215_o.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of an update since th change over to low tech the whole tank is so easy to run and I'm still getting huge amount of growth. I am so happy I changed it over the tank has come on leaps and bounds, I ah e no algae problems what so ever and the fish seem very happy so all is good :)

Back