• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Livestock Videos (looking for feedback)

FinestAquatics

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
Hello everyone i hope you are well.

An idea we are playing round with at the moment is uploading various livestock videos to youtube as a way to show viewers the different species we currently have in stock.
attached is an example of the style of video we are currently going with.

We would really appreciate any feedback the members of UKAPS could give us.

Thanks for your time

Yeha this is definitely a good idea, I really like videos of the stock shops have in, especially when it highlights new or unusual species in stock, and it shows me the condition of the fish and how you keep them when it's a new shop which builds trust. Nice photos are also great, along with the name of the fish. It is also nice to see tours of the shop, and highlighting a few fish in different tanks with the shop keepers talking about the fish, their parameters, why they like them, etc, helps us get to know you and creates more reasons for us to come visit :)

Ruinnemans do this and glaser also for rare stock but they are very rarely useful because they’re filmed on potatoes or at such a distance you can’t see so much. Good photos are better than video for the sake of it.

Got to agree with @Garuf a good quality photo is far better.
Getting decent footage with good resolution is a lot harder, especially when most people use this forum via a mobile, you then have cross platform issues.

I like videos over pictures because as a potential customer, it's harder to hide things in a video than in a picture. If you are good at something, show it off.

It's nice to see how fish are kept and it will attract customers, sometimes from very far away.

Seems to me like a chunk of work though; it's great you're doing this but can be off putting as a customer when I contact about a post which says you have X but then I call and you do not :)

I know rare fish move fast, so in turn move fast and update your listings :)

Surely far for value in a weekly stock update and perhaps some weekly images of new stock incoming. This helps keep people up to date and build excitement. Perhaps even a weekly store update (on video) showcasing what’s currently in stock wise, both livestock and dry goods

Thank you for sponsoring UKAPS :thumbup:

Ideas:
  1. Description of typical water parameters or environmental conditions favouring species - pH, dKH, temperature, tank size requirements (not nano-cubes)
  2. Description of rarity, C/CW coding, supplier source and breeding region (e.g. Domestic, European, wild, ect.)
  3. Description of endemic region (i.e. Río Vilcanota system at Cuzco in Peru) - very useful for biotope aquariums
  4. Population age range, lifespan, how long they have been in, and were they quarantined (tickbox -obviously)
  5. Compatibility (apparently this one is compatible with all but the tiniest fry), ideal tankmates suggestion
  6. Breeding guidance (egg layer, reasonably easy, reliable)
  7. Recommend a suitable food combination that you have in stock (possibly a live feed supplement)
  8. Consider a black substrate and different fluorescent tubes in certain tanks to enhance appearance
  9. Identify some music that is your brand, and keep that as an audial cue to aid marketing on all videos
  10. Tell customers how excited you are and why you have them in stock as a brief audio description (see below)
  11. Tell instore customers that you are doing stock updates via YouTube
  12. A slightly better camera
  13. Points (1) to (7) are ideal if you write them on a card and display this with the tank (date it, use it for stock tracking).
If you use existing information, then you can have a quite interesting and persuasive audio description for this species:
Native to Río Vilcanota system at Cuzco in Peru, it was collected in the sixties by Paolini in his many expeditions in the area. It was not until Belinda and Lance Peck found the species again in 2003 that imports to the aquarium trade started. There are only 183 registered keepers on PlantCatfish, with five recognised paratypes. TFM once described them as the "Holy Grail" of fishkeeping that everyone goes "goes nuts over" and that they are "very rare and desirable" which many people searched long and hard for, including famed catfish expert Dr David Sands. Originally sold for "$1000 apiece" in Japan after being discovered. The original Japanese name given to them translates roughly as “dream cory,” but other names given to the fish include the “two-saddled cory.” Ian Fuller in Britain was possibly the first person breed them. Corydoras weitzmani are not egg eaters, they hatch in 120 hours at 24°C (75°F). The larvae are unusually large, and three or four days later, when they have absorbed their yolk, it is necessary to start feeding them microworms or freshly hatched Artemia nauplii, but the adults are not fussy eaters. We are very proud to have this rare and beautiful species in stock and to be encouraging breeding efforts to preserve this absolutely magnificent species.

Last edited:
Back