• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Product Review Living with an Oase Biomaster

Bradders

I have been using the Oase Biomaster 250 (thermal) for over eight months and have had the chance to get up close and personal with the product. I thought it would be good to document my experience for the benefit of others, which may help people use them or find an alternative.

1709132624707.png

What is the Oase Biomaster​

The Biomaster series represents the top end of the Oase range. They are compact units (using height rather than width for range scale) and include space for internal heating devices. The units are available in four sizes, but all function similarly. The only differences are the media capacity and flow rate through the units.

One of the key features is the pre-filter, which is easy to remove and clean and provides protection from too regular a cleaning of the biomedia in the main unit. This can be done in under 10 minutes, which makes weekly maintenance very manageable. Pre-filter foams can be purchased and range from 10PPI to 60PPI.

Oase has decided to keep the units compact to ensure that many of the unsightly pieces of kit (like the heater) remain outside the aquarium. As a result, they fit in smaller cabinets and keep filtration clutter away from the aquarium viewing area. The smallest unit is 24 x 24 x 37 cm. The largest unit is 24 x 24 x 54 cm. Note that Oase scale by going up, not out.

Filtration is supplied in the form of a pre-filter, and then the main unit has 4, 5,6 or 7 trays (depending on the model) of space to add foam, plastic or ceramic media for biofiltration. The main unit houses 20-30PPI foams and HELX-13 plastic media. Every model has pipes, a spray bar, the actual filtration media, and a mix of plastics and foam — everything you need to get started.

The Biomaster Thermal price varies depending on where you look, but they scale from £200 (250 models) to £375 (850 models). This pricing is more aggressive than the Fluval FX series, which ranges from £225 (FX2) to £305 (FX6).

Performance​

When you think about comments about the Biomaster, one area of concern always pops up. And that is the throughput performance of the units. Many have been disappointed by the manufacturer's L/hour rating and what they see in actual usage. Some people have measured less than 50% of the manufacturer rating, and my personal experience is closer to 66%. (My 250 will output 600 L/hour from the supplier rating of 900 L/hour). And it is worth noting that the turnover will reduce even further as the filter gets closer to needing cleaning.

My conclusion is that Oase doesn’t focus significantly on turnover through its filter. 2 or 3 times the aquarium volume is about where they are looking at when looking at their figures for maximum aquarium size for each unit. The Oase Biomaster 250 is recommended for aquariums up to 250L in size. Considering the real-life performance, that could be under 2 x turnover through the unit. The real question is whether (at worst) 2 x performance ensures effective mechanical filtration and biofiltration.

Aquarium Science tested to see if doubling the throughput would double the ability to oxidise ammonia at normal versus 2 x throughput over 90 days. The test averages showed that 2 x throughput was around 9% improved, not 100% improved. The test conclusion showed that flow is not the be-all-and-end-all for ammonia oxidation.

Aquarium Canister Filter Flow Test Results

However, there are a few things to consider here.

UKAPS members always emphasise that you require dissolved oxygen at good enough levels to ensure that bacteria in the biofiltration can thrive. Oxygen (especially in a closed system) must reach that bio-media. Furthermore, the ‘flow’ around a planted aquarium (generated by an outflow) is important for environmental health, and 2 x is well below any aquascaper recommendations. As a result, we can conclude that throughput is not paramount for ammonia oxidation but will become an issue in heavily planted and high-tech (i.e. CO2) based aquariums. With the Oase, you may need to add a wavemaker or flow generator in larger aquariums to ensure CO2 is getting effectively pushed around the environment.

Bio-load Capacity​

Another topic is how effective the filter will be for a certain quantity of fish. When you add plants into the equation, this is a challenging topic, but for now, we will concentrate on raw filter capability.

Evidence suggests that the more surface area you have, the better chance of cleaner and healthier water for fish. Some research has shown that 100ft/2 (9.3m/2) per metabolic pound (454g) is required to contribute to healthy water for fish. A media's large surface area means there are enough good critters to outcompete bad bacteria – assuming the filter is mature. As a general marker, we will use the 100ft/2 (9.3m/2) per metabolic pound in the rest of this document.

The table below shows fish loading based on 25, 100 and 500 Square Feet on the Oase Biomaster 250. Taking the middle options of 100ft/2, seven 3-inch fish can be supported with enough headroom to deal with the bio-load. (It is worth nothing that the Biomaster 250 can only support 154 grams of fish if using the 100ft/2 target with the supplied media).

1709132693893.png

The table below shows a typical aquarium with a mixture of fish of differing sizes, as not everyone will have seven fish of exactly 3-inches! You can see from the table that the 27 small fish are supported with the 250’s filter capacity of around 60%. (Note: this example was using the standard 20PPI/30PPI foam and HELX-13 media supplied within the Oase Biomaster 250’s four trays):

1709132705675.png

When we talk about total capacity for the Biomaster 250, theoretically you could have the following fish loading at the 100 Feet/2 (9.3m/2) per metabolic pound (434g) of fish target. Which represents a nice little community of forty fish in a medium-sized aquarium.

FishQuantity
Molly (male)6
Guppy (male)6
Cardinal Tetra (mixed sex)12
Platy (male)6
Rasbora (mixed sex)10
Total40

And, if the Biomaster is set up properly and bio-load monitored, it can produce very clear and healthy water for the inhabitants:

IMG_0826 (1).jpeg

Scaling​

Considering the full Oase Biomaster range, scale could be seen as a challenge.

The largest unit (the Biomaster 850) has an extra 3 trays when compared to the Biomaster 250. This takes the capacity up to 283 grams of fish at the 100 foot/2 target. That is only an extra 129 fish grams of extra-capacity for a lot more size and cost. Effectively, you would realise more capacity using two Oase Biomaster 250’s. The Oase 850 is the top-end range of Oases’ offering, but it does not come close to the Fluval FX Series in terms of capacity or throughput.

We cannot talk about the scale issue without looking at the design. The Oase Biomaster foams are 7 x 7 x 2 inches, which would provide 98 cubic inches of surface area per tray. However, they lose 29% of space to accommodate the internal heater and the pre-filter housing making the volume only 70 cubic inches per tray. Furthermore, Oase decided to go up, and not go out in terms of their design for larger units. Making the foams 9 x 9 x 2 would have made a significant (and compensating) difference to the capacity. The footprint of the unit would still fit in smaller cabinets and the extra capacity would be welcome. With this design consideration, a single Oase Biomaster 850 would have been able to support 467 grams of fish at the 100 foot/2 target.

This is the price you pay for a canister with a small footprint, internal heater and pre-filter. It is very neat and compact, but you are not going to obtain the same level of filtration capacity that the higher-end Fluval FX series will provide.

That being said, there is no reason that you cannot replace the standard media with, for example, 30PPI foam which will allow for greater filtration capacity. On the Biomaster 250, that would mean a 38% increase from 154 grams to 213 grams of fish at the 100 foot/2 target. And you can always add another Biomaster for redundancy and extra filtering capacity. Running 2 Biomaster 250s in this configuration will give you excellent redundancy and enough filtration for ten 4-inch fish (425 metabolic grams) with clear and healthy water.

Operation​

As mentioned previously, you have everything in the box to get you going. Setup is not too taxing, but it may require a little patience when getting familiar if you are new to external canister filters.

Without going into too much detail, the unit has several trays to fill with media and they are all secured with locking clamps and O-rings for watertightness. In-flow and out-flow pipes are connected to the filter and peripherals with locking screws to keep them in place.

Once everything is setup, you can use the primer button to get the water into the canister and therefore removing the air. Once the whole route is saturated with water, you can turn on the unit where it will dissipate the remaining air before returning to normal (and quieter) operation. Depending on how new the model is, there may be a requirement to tilt the unit to really get the last of the air out. (Newer models come with an adapted head plate which improves air removal, and some have reported that it does indeed do a better job). Some have reported problems with the priming function, but it’s very hard to tell whether this is due to the setup or the actual unit. As a result, that potential issue is noted here but without any prejudice toward the Oase design.

Once running, the noise levels are not too invasive. Testing has shown on the 250 and 350 units that it runs at around 41db to 44db, measured at 4 inches away from the head unit. The 350 and above units (which have a larger impeller) tend to run a little nosier. Acceptable noise levels are very subjective as one person’s 41db is too loud, and another person’s very quiet. It would be very difficult to guarantee that it’s a quiet unit as a result.

The pre-filter is very good at making maintenance quick and simple. Depending on loading, average users clean the pre-filter every 7-14 days. A ‘dirty’ pre-filter does tend to reduce the flow so it cannot remain uncleaned for 3 months. However, removing the pre-filter and cleaning really can be reduced to minutes so it is not a major burden. Furthermore, the pre-filter ‘protects’ the main units bio-media, resulting in a cleaning requirement of every 6-12 months or more for the internal media.

The heater seems to function well (providing you have the right wattage for the size of aquarium) and easy to set and forget. The problem here is, when the heater is fitted in the unit, you cannot see the on/off light and therefore don’t have a visual indication that it’s working. When setting up in the summer, you might be left a little confused whether the heater is warming the water, or the weather is! As a result, a basic on-off test should be performed before placing into the unit.

And that is where it all becomes very boring. The unit just sits there removing, cleaning and returning water to the aquarium. Apart from a weekly pre-filter clean, it just blends into the background and becomes somewhat forgotten.

Repair, Upgrades and Support​

There is some good news on this aspect of the Oase Biomaster range.

The units can be taken apart very easily (with just a modicum of confidence required) and almost everything can be replaced from the impeller and head plate, right through to the trays which house the media. There are plenty of stockists online and the spare parts are not prohibitively expensive. I have cleaned the impeller, replaced the head plate and replaced the inlet/outlet head section with ease, and without any issues at all. It all feels very accessible and easy to repair or upgrade.

On the upgrade front, Oase does a good job here, too. New head plates, motor plates and pre-filter tubes have been created and they all make some improvement (to varying degrees) to the unit’s performance or operation. This is great news for those with older units who want to upgrade (or modernise) without having to lay out hard earned cash on a new unit. It also shows some ethics from the manufacturer by not forcing you to buy the latest and greatest version.

I have contacted Oase support several times to ask some product-related questions and seek technical advice. They responded promptly and provided reasonable explanations to my questions.

Summary​

Having lived with two Oase Biomaster 250’s for nearly 9 months, I find myself very fond of this little unit. Space is limited under my medium sized aquarium, and both fit into a paltry sized cabinet. They are quiet, keep the water very clean and are no hassle to maintain. I also appreciate the ability to perform upgrades/repairs which ensure the unit keeps going on for longer.

However, for some, I suspect the Oase Biomaster will not be their first choice. The lower turnover rate and capacity could turn people away, especially those with larger environments and more demanding fish loads. There is an argument for not worrying too much about the turnover, but a few extra inches to the design could have significantly increased the media capacity of the units.

Pros
  • Small footprint, which fits in smaller spaces.
  • Heater and Pre-filter are internal creating neatness.
  • Quiet operation, especially for the 250 and 350 models.
  • Everything included to get you started.
  • Foam and plastic media are of good quality.
  • Upgrades and spare parts are freely available and inexpensive.
Challenges
  • The bio load capacity is inhibited due to the design.
  • The flow wont please those wanting high turnover.
  • Fluval FX series is cheaper, has higher turnover and more media capacity.
  • Heater operation light is not visible when fitted.

Last edited:
Great post.

Unfortunately, I am not the best person to promote the Oase Biomaster. I had two 850 Thermals on a Cichlid tank for about 18 months to 2 years and they always gave me issues. The most annoying was the continual purging of air. I tried a number of things some of whcih helped but it never fully cured it. The final straw was when I began to get some minor leaks on the prefilters and again tried many things but could only improve it not cure it. I took the decision to sell them and replaced them with Fluval 407s and they have been no trouble at all. I considered the FX6 but can't fit them in my cabinet.

Great post.

Unfortunately, I am not the best person to promote the Oase Biomaster. I had two 850 Thermals on a Cichlid tank for about 18 months to 2 years and they always gave me issues. The most annoying was the continual purging of air. I tried a number of things some of whcih helped but it never fully cured it. The final straw was when I began to get some minor leaks on the prefilters and again tried many things but could only improve it not cure it. I took the decision to sell them and replaced them with Fluval 407s and they have been no trouble at all. I considered the FX6 but can't fit them in my cabinet.
They would still have been under warranty. Did you contact Oase about these issues?

They would still have been under warranty. Did you contact Oase about these issues?
Not directly but through the retailer I bought them from. They proposed a fix for one of the issues but it never really worked. I think by the time I got to 18 months plus I was fed up.

Not directly but through the retailer I bought them from. They proposed a fix for one of the issues but it never really worked. I think by the time I got to 18 months plus I was fed up.
I thought they come with 2 year warranty extendable to 3.

Noise levels are very subjective as one person’s 41db is too loud, and another person’s very quiet. It would be very difficult to guarantee that it’s a quiet unit as a result.
Noise levels are objective (with variance between units), acceptable noise levels are subjective. Nice write up though.

Noise levels are objective (with variance between units), acceptable noise levels are subjective. Nice write up though.
Thank you! And I have updated the main text with your great point out. Cheers.

Hi, one of the worst filter I ever had (the thermo 600)

-noisy
-pricey
-low flow
-average media capacity
-energy consuming
-needs prefilter cleaning every 2-3 weeks in order to keep it running properly
-one of the worst customer service I ever experienced (oase France)

Finally, these guys have sponsored half of the Instagram /YouTube community so yeah, you’ll hear mainly good review from these :D

After this I had the Eheim pro4 600, which has such a nice flow and very silent but the build quality was deceiving.(cheap and thin plastic , especially the media basket)

Finally, I had a great deal on a Aquael Ultramax 1500 and 2000 and these are really good. They had issues with the v1.0 heads too (broken rotor) but the actual ones are really nice for the price.

About the heater, I would say than 80% it’s not needed when your tanks are in a well heated living room, I personally don’t use any on my tanks. Apart when keeping some specific fishes like betta for example than needs around 26 degrees Celsius to feel well, then I use a small intank heater from aquael too, only in winter.

Just my 2 cents, cheers

Finally, I had a great deal on a Aquael Ultramax 1500 and 2000 and these are really good. They had issues with the v1.0 heads too (broken rotor) but the actual ones are really nice for the price.
The specifications versus cost for the Aquael 2000 (with its 10 litres of media capacity within the baskets) do look very compelling. But, if you pay a little more, you can get the Fluval FX series, which scales up to 20L media capacity and has quite a unique way of filtering. The Eheim 600 actually has 35% less space for media and a lower manufacturer's flow rate. In terms of the Oase filter capacity, I agree that they should increase the footprint slightly to ensure it can still fit in smaller cabinets, but increase the capacity significantly to start to content with other brands.
Hi, one of the worst filter I ever had (the thermo 600)
There do seem to be quite a few people who have had problems with noise on the 600 and 850 versions of the Oase Biomaster series. It must be something to do with the change in impeller that occurs from the 600 and upwards. The 250 and 350 seem to be super quiet and both of my 250's running together are non-disruptive to my ears.

When I get my new aquarium this year, I think I am going to buy and FX series and also another brand so I can really get to grips with alternatives.

Yeah I heard the 250 and 350 were quieter.

But I was disappointed with the low flow of the 600 already so didn’t try something smaller (it was for my 140 liters tank.

The media basket of the Eheim are really bad yes, thin plastic and no big capacity, but the flow rate announced seems really right in comparaison of the oase.

Personally, I prefer a filter that I don’t have to touch for 2 months and that will keep the flow rate than something that you will have to open every 2 weeks, even if that’s easy in the case of the oase prefilter cleaning!

I have no experience with fluval fx series, but they seem to be

very complicated, this means more prone to issues, not even talking about the price tag.

Honestly if i’m getting a big tank again I would take one of those Chinese stainless filter with programmable pump and maybe prefilter option;
-huge media capacity
-absolutely silent pump, measured the Blau one at 34db
-stainless looks nice, so can be used out of the cabinet
-cleaning it once every 4-6 months is ok , once a month if you got the prefilter option.

Ofc the maintenance is an bit more annoying than the oase/Eheim/aquael and other plastic canister filter but this happens every 4-6 months so…

Yep, that all sounds very sensible indeed.

My principles for my new (hopefully much larger aquarium!) is going to focus on huge amounts of media capacity. My theory here is that if you have lots and lots of media capacity, then you are going to have to clean a lot less than having a smaller capacity. I have proved that in my current setup where my fish load is small for the calculated media in the filter. The Oase 250's main 20PPI/30PPI sponges have not been cleaned for 9 months and don't look clogged or need cleaning at all. But, I do have to clean the pre-filter once every two weeks or so. Luckily, this is a 5-minute job. And the capacity of the Oase 250's media is not going to cope with 15 x 6-inch fish.

I think that the oase could be completely filled with media and just use the prefilter as sponge? A lot of ppl are doing this here in France.

And yes media capacity is the main thing, Ada superjet filters for example works like this, full of media, no sponge at all, average but consistent flow because of the basic conception and lack of sponge barreer.

I still do enjoy a prefilter , even minimal with coarse sponge for example. :)

Just an update to this review: I thought I would post about a recurring issue with the Oase and a recommendation for you to avoid getting into trouble if you are an Oase Owner.

I have two Biomaster 250s, one from June 2023 and one bought after that one leaked and needed an urgent replacement. Both have had the same failure on the inlet/outlet head; replacing that part has resolved the issue. As you can see from the image, there seems to be a weakness in some of the head units (or caused by the locking mechanism) that damages a tube and renders the unit leaky. This happened to me last night, and thanks to the previous issue, I immediately knew where to look and why it was leaking.

Luckily, I have two filters running for redundancy, so I am now waiting for a spare part. (Still not great as all my bacteria is just sitting in a bucket of water with no flow going across it). I am careful with all my equipment, never force anything and always ease things apart. So, it's a surprise to see two of these issues occur.

Many people do not have the option of running two filters. But for the cheap cost of ordering one of these parts and keeping the spare on-site, I highly recommend it. Once it fails, it is so disabling that you just need to be able to quickly replace it.

IMG_0858.jpeg

Hi all,
Still not great as all my bacteria is just sitting in a bucket of water with no flow going across it
Could you put an air-stone in? If you don't have one, reduce the amount of water so that the media is just covered, that will increase the oxygen diffusion (by increasing the gas exchange surface area to volume ratio).

A plant would also work if you put the bucket by a window, Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) would be ideal.

cheers Darrel

Could you put an air-stone in? If you don't have one, reduce the amount of water so that the media is just covered, that will increase the oxygen diffusion (by increasing the gas exchange surface area to volume ratio).
Thats a very good call, @dw1305. Done. Air in the canister bucket.

How long do you thing I have before the good stuff all die? I estimate it will be around 18-20 hours (part arriving in 2 hours) before the filter is fixed. (Longer if delivery lets me down of course!)

Hi all,
How long do you thing I have before the good stuff all die? I estimate it will be around 18-20 hours
I honestly wouldn't worry. The relative abundances in the microbial assemblage will be changing all the time, but basically it can sit there (like that) for a very long time period. All the "they must be continually supplied with ammonia or they'll die" is just b*llocks, oxygen matters, but nothing else does.
..... If you look at the paper, the „dry treatment” means that no additional water was added to the experiment. While I can‘t imagine we would call the environment wet, there would be plenty of microenvironments in the leaves that have enough humidity to enable survival and far from complete desiccation. Even then, spore forming microbes will survive. So if we are talking about microbes in general, the answer would be yes and you can find plenty of commercially available powdery bacteria mixes with numerous claims to fame.
Have a look at <"Correspondence with Dr Ryan Newton - School of Freshwater Sciences, University of Wisconsin—Milwaukee">. The whole thread is well worth a read, because it <"summarises the science">.

We also have a couple threads from Dr Tim Hovanec <"Dr Timothy Hovanec's comments about Bacterial supplements"> and <"Tim Hovanec's "Nitrification in marine aquarium" article">, the second one is talking about marine aquariums, but the summary would also apply to freshwater aquariums.

cheers Darrel

As always, thanks @dw1305. I always feel like my brain is expanding on this forum!

Anyway, some great news: the new part has arrived! (Plus a spare!). So, it's time to get that filter back into production!

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily I have several spare canisters in the loft should I need one. I have actually been thinking about replacing my Biomaster 350 with an Ehiem Classic 600 at some point. Far less to go wrong.

Back