• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lobelia Cardinalis 'Mini' query

johnjo

Just wondering if you can use this plant like a epyphyte. I was thinking of attaching it to some redwood that sticks out of the top of my tank and growing it slightly submerged just below the surface but allowing it to grow up and out of the water and along the wood. It will then hopefully change colour to purple as well.

Not sure on this plant as I believe its a stem plant and not sure if it needed to be grown in a substrate.

Thanks Hufta, I keep forgetting this point and always look for epiphytes etc when thinking about attaching to wood. I was wondering if anybody had actually tried this method with Lobelia cardinalis mini as I thought certain stems did better than others when growing outside of a substrate.

plants can be grown with their roots loose in the water
I have a specialized 'Garden Center' near where I live. Plants from 99p babies to £3000.00+ mature plants. Talking to its owner the other day and he is confident that a growing trend will be hydroponic house plants.
Currently having a play.
Its possible to come out of his shop seriously weak from loss of money.
Lobelia cardinalis
Never had any luck with the 'big garden type' but am considering the mini when I see it for sale and would perhaps grow it out of the substrate.
Keep us posted as to how you get on.

Back