• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long post regarding my tank

I would agree with @Myrtle, work with the water you have from the tap. If you try to adjust the parameters they need to be the same for each & every water change.
I use buckets for water changes & I treat each one before it goes into the tank. (I keep tiny fish in nano tanks so it's only one bucket per tank!)
I think many people with larger tanks use canister filters because they are efficient & relatively unobtrusive. The container part with the pump is pretty hefty but otherwise there is just a pipe to draw water out & another one to return it. The return pipes can be a spray bar along the back wall of the tank so there is good water circulation round the whole tank, benefitting plants and fish. There is no need for a sump with a canister filter, it is a piece of equipment on it's own, there are numerous brands out there & I'm sure plenty of people to advise you on a suitable size.

tends to get weird disrupted flow
My first filter was a HoB that I had for about a year. It was a simple design with plenty of space and easy to clean but it could not re-prime itself after power cuts (unfortunately we seem to get these on our street) and was susceptible to air buildup over time. So after coming home to it screaming running dry for the thousandth time I decided to get one of these. It is a bit more of a sealed system and re-primes fine so far.

I have filled it with just sponge, and it lives under the tank. It seems to do the job (along with a small flow pump on the opposite corner of the tank to keep a gentle circular circulation of water around the tank). I've not cleaned it yet but expect that will be a bit of a wet faff.

My tank is only 70L so if you take the external canister filter route you will probably need something size-appropriate.

What cheap easy growing plant would you recommend :)
Limnophila seesiliflora aka Ambulia as others have said,
Hygrophila difformis Water Wisteria,
Hygrophila corymbosa,
Elodea densa or E. crispa - you can often get a big bunch from pond shops.
hth

I am going to keep an eye out for a second hand external canister. The Fluval 407 I think may be overkill for my tank, but something a little less powerful might do. Saying that I did read that something with a high output may give me enough movement for my dream of hillstream loaches... although I'm a long way off considering getting ANY more stock for this tank.

Guys another Cory is on the verge of dying, keeps going on its side.

I am going away tomorrow, the others seem okay.

I don't know what to do at this very moment.

EDIT:

I have just done a 70/80 litre (can't remember but it was quite a bit over half way ) water change.

Cleaned the filter again.

Hoovered up any debris.

The fish has moved a little more than before but clearly something is wrong.

Did two test strips, one for ammonia - came back normal, as does my sachem ammonia alert.

`The 6in1 test strips show nitrite and nitrate are fine.

The chlorine is fine.

The hardness is in the ok region. Carbonnate is very high and PH is showing high.

At this point, I reluctantly would accept taking the fish to a local fish shop because something isn't working.

I am away until next Friday though :(

Alternatively if anyone here lives in West London and would be happy to rehome them I'd be very grateful.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are doing all you can at the moment.
Is there anyone who can do more water changes while you are away? Even 30 litres a day would help as you are having to leave the tank for nearly a week. If the poorly fish does die it's body must be removed as it will just make things even worse for you.

I will be back Sunday eve so I will do another water change then it is just that I won't get a chance to go to a fish shop to give them the fish

I am starting to suspect the water is not your problem... this hobby isn't that difficult: plants might not thrive, and algae might take over, but fish don't just die like what you've described other than from the common water culprits ammonia and nitrite, which you have ruled out.

Could something toxic be leaching into the water? I would remove all of the hardscape. What exactly is the substrate?

Sorry you've lost another fish. 😢
I'm wondering if the oxygen levels in your tank are low due to poor circulation by the HOB. There may be sufficient surface agitation for gas exchange but that oxygenated water needs to be drawn down to substrate level & through the tank by the filter flow.
As corys are bottom dwellers, they can be put under stress over time & then become vulnerable to other infections.
In my tanks I make sure the plants sway slightly from the filter flow, it doesn't need to be much. Just enough to know there is flow through the whole tank.

Perhaps, I have to say I don't like the HOB filter as it often sort of stops and starts (not literally but I notice the flow is never constant, it sort of trails off and the filter has to refill with water).

I can order a new filter no problem, but I am wary of spending more and more money on things.

I just feel totally deflated. I appreciate that I have made mistakes, and that fish keeping isn't a walk in the park, but so many people just get fish, a bowl, no filter and no heater and the fish don't die. Yes they don't thrive but they don't die.

I've really tried to go above and beyond and research and cater for my fish, I know I have definitely made errors, but I just feel like things keep going wrong.

And because I can't seem to locate the issue, it makes me wary of even continuing.

I could start from scratch, but what if things keep happening.

I wish I wasn't going away so much over the next week :(

Just checked the order as it was from amazon and they say they have plastic zips. The listing specifically mentions that the the zips wont rust or produce harmful substances.

I am going to let you know everything in my aquarium.

Substrate: Mix of Tetra Active Aquarium Substrate and Marina Decorative Aquarium Gravel in Mesh Bags, Topped with D-Pac Limited Aquarium Sand in Natural
Filter - All Pond Solutions Aquarium HOB Filter 800Lph
Heater - Fluval T200
Airstone Pump - Nicrew UFO Aquarium Pump
Hardscape - Driftwood (from fish shop) and two rocks with holes (from fish shop)

Just a note - my male Molly has black stuff on his fins and has for over a month. He is the most active fish. I'll see if I have a photo.

Attachments

• 1c6385ce-d0f2-4b9c-8dff-5f2ac0cd1704.jpg
    1c6385ce-d0f2-4b9c-8dff-5f2ac0cd1704.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 62
Just checked the order as it was from amazon and they say they have plastic zips. The listing specifically mentions that the the zips wont rust or produce harmful substances.
Rules that out.

As already mentioned. You’re doing everything you can.

Fish don’t just die as yours have been, but I don’t think we’ll figure out the reason.

Have a nice break away, try and rehome the fish once you’re back and then focus on tank maintenance and growing plants.

This will then set you up for the tank move or a new scape and you’ll then have lots of nice healthy plants to make use of.

Thanks, I will rehome the fish when I am back.

I am actually wishing I had just stuck with a small tank, and gone for nano fish. I may look at selling what I have and going for a much smaller 30 litre round/ bowl tank and just stick to some tiny little fish.

I am genuinely very sad. I won't let it put me off fish keeping all together, but I think I got a bit carried away, after my mum died I really wanted something to focus on.

I am going to look at selling everything I have, bar some plants, and get something like a biorb 35 tube aquarium. Much smaller and easier to manage, and get that going. Then perhaps get some nano fish and just go from there.

Last edited:
I am actually wishing I had just stuck with a small tank, and gone for nano fish. I may look at selling what I have and going for a much smaller 30 litre round/ bowl tank and just stick to some tiny little fish.

Reading through @pollyandpear and your setup isn’t the issue. Before doing anything too drastic, here’s what can be gathered from your photo’s, followed by options to execute:

Some advice appreciated.

Sure.

1691744326920.jpeg

That rock ☝🏼 harbouring waste. Take it out and scrub with a toothbrush or even a wire brush like this:

1691744643606.jpeg

Healthy tanks have biofilm for livestock to graze on. This usually won’t happen effectively when there is an algae monopolising its surface area.

1691744830983.jpeg

Again, very reasonably healthy plants and the wood on the right needs removing from the tank and scrubbing again. It’s free real estate for algal growth and needs resetting.

Next… what is this plant:

1691745107670.jpeg

Is it a houseplant with roots submersed? Is it poisonous?

Have seen some species of tropical plants used in tanks and it has slowly killed livestock when water changes aren’t big and frequent. Thought it best to ask.

Sand and Cyanobacteria:

1691745263730.jpeg

Assuming your sand is your capping over your planting substrate so you’ve made it this deep for a reason. If it’s just sand towards the edges, you can negate the cyanobacteria by sloping your sand to a few mm’s depth at the edges. This will allow you to clean the glass right to the bottom. It will also remove an area of high organic waste, low oxygen and light from the sides for Cyanobacteria to colonise.

You can use a sand leveller like this to reset the sand to a slope intermittently:

1691745648047.jpeg

First time you do this you’re going to release a load of crud into the water column. You want to do this just before a water change.

A question which sometimes gets missed… Are you using a dechlorinator with your water changes like Seachem Prime:

1691745823289.jpeg

Another question… Did you do large water changes following the Esher 2000 treatment? Alternatively, did you use activated carbon to remove the treatment from the water?

In your first post you mentioned your molly jumped out of the tank. There could be multiple reasons, but trying to rule out medicated water being one of them.

I love my tank and my fish but just finding it very stressful and don't feel I have really got a stable tank yet :(

Your tap water in London will be very consistent. Consider cleaning your filter media in tank water, putting it back and doing daily water changes of up to 80% for a week, everyday, then assess the tank.

Ultimately you are keeping water, you are the benefactor for your livestock and plants. Control your water with routine, everything else falls into place.

The hardscape can be scrubbed in ten minutes and replaced, no hardship.

Also, love the setup and dimensions @pollyandpear !!

1691746691309.jpeg

You can do so much with this setup, hoping you decide to keep trucking with it.

Firstly thank you so much!

In answer to some questions.

The plant with root submerged, it is actually two plants, I don't rmember what they are, but they were bought on ETSY as aquatic plants, and I was told on here they are not truly aquatic plants and I was misold, so I think was recommended to submerge roots. One is like a grass and the other a palm. I think Mondo Grass and Parlor Palm.

I did scrub the rocks with a toothbrush but couldn't get all algae off - happy to take out rocks and the wood and give a scrub or remove all together for now.

Yes I use seachem prime.

I do not recall doing a large water change or using carbon after the Esher 2000.

I will level off the sand as you suggested.

As I am going away today and did a big water change yesterday, I will remove the rocks and hardscape - not sure what to do with the anubais as that can't be planted right?

Will level off sand and then do a small water change to remove all the debris and crud.

Will also remove those plants with roots just submerged and see how that goes.

Hopefully at least that will make things a little better for the fish currently in the tank (one cory, two adult molly, one baby).

The plant with root submerged, it is actually two plants, I don't rmember what they are, but they were bought on ETSY as aquatic plants, and I was told on here they are not truly aquatic plants and I was misold, so I think was recommended to submerge roots. One is like a grass and the other a palm.

Anyone remember their ID? Maybe @zozo or @dw1305 may know:

1691748047331.jpeg

It could be a red herring @pollyandpear but it’s worth pursuing. Equally we have materials used, potentially hand creams, unnoticed soap residue on hands, aerosols used in the room, air fresheners etc etc…

It may seem like water changes are a bit of a blunt instrument but they are a sure fire way of seeing if problems desist by a single intervention. You can begin troubleshooting and refine a schedule from there if there’s a significant difference in the systems performance.

I did scrub the rocks with a toothbrush but couldn't get all algae off - happy to take out rocks and the wood and give a scrub or remove all together for now.

Wire brush then maybe. Super cheap from Amazon/eBay/hardware stores. Once it’s clean there are ways of targeting patches of algae growth with hardscape in the tank.

not sure what to do with the anubais as that can't be planted right?

Nope, it’s an epiphyte. Needs to have the rhizome exposed to the water. Could superglue it to a pebble temporarily if you want to keep it.

I am genuinely very sad. I won't let it put me off fish keeping all together, but I think I got a bit carried away, after my mum died I really wanted something to focus on.

Heart breaking to hear and so sorry for your loss @pollyandpear 😔

Glad you found a focus in bereavement, don’t lose heart. Your care for your tank is enough to see this through.

Following your thread now @pollyandpear so will get notifications. Keep us posted upon your return. We’ll see this one right.

Back