• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long post regarding my tank

Can even use the 70l tank as a semi high tech tank by dosing more often in there and better lighting. Til you understand the relationship of light duration etc.
Over time you can just use the 70l as a nursery to plant into the big tank. Thats what I do with my other small tanks at home :)

Just another note encase it sheds anymore light..

Most of my snails don't seem to grow. They originally came on plants and took Iver my tank, there are tons of them always popping up but a lot appear to stay small and not sure if many survive? Lots of translucent shells on the bottom of tank.

I think thats usually a balance of too much food at one point and the population bursting and constant laying eggs everywhere, then you notice a tonne of small snails. For me its usually because my loaches get to them. But if there is no loach I reckon the culprit is the change of water parameters.
What is the PH/GH level like? I suspect maybe a combination of both. I have snails in all my tanks and also a tank by the window which I just chuck adults in there and I get hundreds of babies in there. This was to breed and feed my loaches when I had them.

Well I am going to transfer them over to my smaller tank once I have cleaned it.

My original baby molly that was born about 2/3 months ago is still tiny, only twice the size of the newborn fry! It's bright orange but tiny!

Looking at my easiest 6 in 1 strips:

Nitrate - Actually looking between 25 and 50 so will do a water change.

Nitrite - 0

Chlorine - 0

Total Hardness - Between 75 - 150

Carbonate - 300

PH - 8/8.4

Edit done a 20L water change and Nitrate is back down to between 0 - 10ppm.

Last edited:
If you changed one eighth of the water and your test shows the nitrate has dropped by more than half it's time to bin the test strips. :)
"Total Hardness - Between 75 - 150" is that ppm? If so, I would stop worrying about hardness. (IF we can trust the test strips, but your water supplier says 15.2°DH so that should be OK.)

Nitrate - Actually looking between 25 and 50 so will do a water change
If you live in West London then your tap water will likely contain 20 ~ 30 ppm of Nitrate.
If you changed one eighth of the water and your test shows the nitrate has dropped by more than half it's time to bin the test strips. :)
Not totally against testing, but I'd tend to agree with the above in this instance.

"Total Hardness - Between 75 - 150" is that ppm?
The total hardness of London tapwater in ppm must surely be in the 300 - 400 range, so I'm not really sure what that measurement alludes to.
Nitrate - Actually looking between 25 and 50 so will do a water change.

Nitrite - 0

Chlorine - 0

Total Hardness - Between 75 - 150

Carbonate - 300

PH - 8/8.4

Edit done a 20L water change and Nitrate is back down to between 0 - 10ppm.
Also changing 20l of water in a 160l tank would not reduce the nitrate from 25-50 to 0-10 mg/l, so as already suggested it's time to bin those test strips.

You’re still not changing nowhere near enough water by the sounds of things. What is your water change schedule at the moment?

I’d have expected the baby molly to be much bigger than it is considering the size of the tank and your stocking level.

Cheers

I did a smaller water change yesterday just to correct the ammonia.

Normally once a week, on a Monday I do about a 60 litre water change which is about halfway down the water level?

I did a smaller water change yesterday just to correct the ammonia.

Normally once a week, on a Monday I do about a 60 litre water change which is about halfway down the water level?
Oh ok apologies, that should be more than sufficient.

It’s strange that the baby molly is so small still. I’d have expected a lot more growth. Hopefully the new batch show better growth.

Cheers

Right, I have finally taken the plunge and set up my old original tank.

I used the filter media from the current filter into a fluvial u2.

I have managed to transfer all fish to the tank.

Can't say that was pleasant, hate stressing them out.

But at least now I will find it easier to do more regular water changes.

Also the Cory is still doing lots of strange swimming and then just falling down onto its side.

In regards to my other tank - I need to catch the few strips that are in there.

There are still lots of plants and snails in the big tank, debating what to do with it for now?

These are my alerts.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_122655.jpg
    IMG_20230901_122655.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 76
Not sure if you can see the orange fry is the 2/3 month old.

Attachments

• IMG_20230901_162354.jpg
    IMG_20230901_162354.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230901_162350.jpg
    IMG_20230901_162350.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 70
Back