• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long post regarding my tank

No it's always shown safe levels so I'm assuming these don't work either.
The PH alert has now darkened to the 8 mark.
I will do a 50% water change every day.
The ammonia detector I expect does work and you DO have safe levels of ammonia, which is to say none at all as would be typical for a mature tank. For London tap water having a pH 8 or higher is totally normal. You won't be able to "fix" that with a water change. If you want a lower pH (which you don't actually need) you'd need to use rainwater or RO water in your tank. Take home message is both pH and ammonia levels in your tank are perfectly fine.

Thank you.

Call fish seem happy in new tanks, babies swimming around.

So many more babies than last time and I am tempted to say they are already too big for the adults to eat.

My plan with this tank is quite literally to just leave it be, bar water changes regularly.

My big tank is going to be a project.

I may loose some of the plants in there but that is okay, I want to clean it out fully, and then I am going to run a external filter on it, and buy a full spectrum light. My plan is to use soil on the base toped with gravel and to leave it to mature for a few months I think :)

Update - all fish seem okay since moving them over.

Cory is still doing some strange swimming and occasionally falls upside down but I did another 50% water change yesterday and will do another today.

Babies are thriving, all swimming around and happy!

I seem to be enjoying this smaller tank more already.

Thank you.

Out of interest, are there any good quality aquariums that have a heater, filter and light built in? I don't really like loaded aquariums but love the idea of not having to plug everything in seperately.

Out of interest, are there any good quality aquariums that have a heater, filter and light built in? I don't really like loaded aquariums but love the idea of not having to plug everything in seperately.
Not that I know of. You might want to look at some All In Ones - Waterbox, for example, do some. But each electrical item would still have it's own plug.

Thank you!

What about biorb? They do a 60l and 105l version?

Edit from my research they don't seem to get great reviews from experienced fish keepers! Shame as I love their designs!

Last edited:
Thank you!

Edit from my research they don't seem to get great reviews from experienced fish keepers! Shame as I love their designs!
Quite apart from anything else it is impossible to arrange plants in them given the refraction once they are filled with water. Cheap second hand ones make nice terrariums though 🙂

Thank you!
You can make a go of it. My Fireplace Aquarium is a biorb. The vertical height is nice for plants. The ceramic filtration media it comes with won't support plant growth, but you can dump a layer of aquasoil directly on top and that works just fine.

Thanks! What a gorgeous aquarium.

I've just watched an interesting video of a guy called pond guru who upgraded the filter of the biorb which looked interesting.

Anyway, just having fun researching.

Hi all,
@dw1305 has probably just spat his sandwich out reading that!
Haha why?
Dubious claims about his brand of filter media called Biohome
........... I really struggle with him and I am probably not an entirely objective observer. I just clicked on the link and saw him and that was enough, I had to have a <"cup of coffee"> and <"some uplifting music">.
Yes, there are <"crumbs everywhere">.

cheers Darrel

Thank you!

Have you see the BiUbe? Similar but cylindrical rather than spherical so it might be better for planting.

Hey guys,

Just thinking about my stock.

Obviously I have my big male Molly, my adult female and the fry.

As much as I love watching the fry grow, realistically I am realising I can't keep all of them and if I keep the male I will continue having this problem.

So I suppose I will have to give some fry away, along with the male IF I don't want to have more babies.

I was also thinking about my Cory who is alone. It seems to be doing better now. I still am not ready to add any new fish but thinking ahead whether to just return it, or get a few more.

I am leaning towards long term getting some little tetra and maybe some otocinclus instead of Cory?

Back