• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Long rooted floating plants

ddam19

Can anyone sugguest a floating plant that has quite long roots.

The tank they will be going in is an Aquanano 55 so can't be too big.

Thanks Adam

Amazon frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) is the daddy here. Produces excellent long feathery roots much loved by shrimp and fry. They can get very long but you can just trim them to whatever length you like. The plants themselves can get largish but only when mature, so you can just bin/sell the larger ones and keep the smaller offshoots as they multiply.

Hi all,
Pistia stratiotes (Water Lettuce) has the best roots:
inin.jpg

Limnobium laevigatum (Amazon Frogbit) can have long roots as well, but they aren't anything like as branching.

Either plant will do for a small tank, as long as you thin them out fairly regularly.

cheers Darrel

Iv had frogbit before just couldn't remember the name as iv gave up tropical about a year ago. I like the look of the lettuce and your tank is the sort of look I will be going for. Thanks both for your help.

Hi all,
I like both of them, if I only had to choose one floater it would be Limnobium. I've got plenty of spares of both if you want them?
I like the look of the lettuce and your tank is the sort of look I will be going for.
It isn't actually my tank, it belonged to "PeterK", a Polish Apistogramma breeder, and I think it had Apistogramma megaptera (or piaroa) in it. I may have posted it before on UKAPS but I thought it belonged to Ruki (Lukasz) another great Polish Apistogramma keeper.

When I was looking for it I found a few more "roots" photos (with Epiplatys annulatus).
2013-09-03135437_zps583b809e.jpg

cheers Darrel

I would love to get some off you if you don't mind. Will have to be next week as only got the tank yesterday and made a school boy error of not leveling the cabinet before filling and don't have a pipe to empty it.

Back