• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Look at my wood! Is it poisonous?

Conger

Hi

I'm very pleased with this bit of wood, although scaping round it would be challenging... any suggestions welcome! (I'll strip the bark of course). Having said that I may go for redmoor anyway!

However, the big issue is that it is ivy. Its been drying out for 2-3 months so far, but I'm aware that some sources say ivy is fine, some say never to use it. Is there a definitive answer from anyone?
pzXfZmN.jpg
Thanks
Tim

The definitive answer is; probably ;)

I've used lots of very dead and dry ivy without any issue. I have some in my fish fry and baby shrimp growout tank at the moment. I doubt you'll find anyone saying they've had ivy kill all their fish, but that may partly be because not many people want to risk it.

I think it rots sooner than some other types of wood. So if you plan a short term aquascape and use well dried wood without any soft tissue (bark etc), you'll be fine. Any longer than a year and it will definitely rot too much.

It should last a little longer than a year... the stuff in mine has been underwater since January 2012 and has just started to loose it's out layers.

Cheers guys. I'll be looking for a longer term feature and didn't know ivy would break down so quickly, so I guess I might end up not using it after all

Back