• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lounge Tank Plans

JDW

Seedling
Hi everyone. First of all I would like to say hi, and what a great website I have been looking and reading stuff for a while. This is a bit of a premature journal as I have a tank and some bits but I wont be setting it up till end of May when I get back from my trip to the USA.
I have a old two foot float glass aquarium (clear float glass) which I might use, but I been in touch with my local glass company and I am waiting to hear back on the cost price of Opit white glass, My plan is a 90x45x45 if it comes in at the right price ,and build my own rimless, and brace-less aquarium. If not it will be the 60x30x30.
This Aquarium will be placed in my lounge and I plan on it been a long term hi-tec project. Once this once as got going I will be doing a second tank in my bedroom which will be a Iwagumi,but I will do another journal for that if everything goes according to plan with this one.

The substrate I wish to use for this is a mix of ADA and Tropica. My plan is to use ADA power sand with the following ADA substrate additives: Bacter 100,Clear Super,Tourmalne BC. I am also thinking about adding Penac P & Penac W, but I'm not sure about them. So any comments on these would be great thank you guys and girls. Then I plan on covering it with Tropica plant substrate and capping this with ADA Forest Sand Xingu. I was going to use a ADA substrate, but then covering it with sand I thought that would be a waste also a pain if they mixed together as well. So I thought this would be a better idea. So again any comments or ideas would be great thank you. The fertiliser I plan on using the ADA fertiliser package 1 from the Green Machine. AS for lighting I have been looking about and I found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/T5-Aquarium-Fish- ... 8e077ee796. I don't know if anyone as used them or as one so and comments on these would be great. Also would this be fine for my set-up I have in mind?. I have a filter which is a Tetratec ex700 external filter with no media in it, so I'm not sure what media to use, or in any of the filters? This will be fine on the 60x30 aquarium, but I was thinking of adding a ex600 to the 60x30 aquarium if I use it, or get a ex1200 if I set up the 90x45 and also use the ex 700 along side as it as I don't want to add power heads to the tank or have a heater in the tank as well I would like to keep it clean of equipment other the the C02 equipment. While I'm on the subject of C02 I have read about the different types of kits and bits and I want to go down the lines of the FE set-up but where do you get the parts from and how easy is it really to set up as I don't want to put holes in my house or myself as I setting it up? Now to the fun bit the aquarium décor and planting yay. Since I'm going to the America to visit friends and family I will be picking up a lot of Manzanita wood well as much as I can carry lol. I just want to use wood as I like the set up Mark Evans set up http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14478 . I would like to do something on the same lines but add my own twist to it. The flora list is the following : ,Bacopa australis,Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Mi Oya',Eleocharis parvula,Lilaeopsis mauritiana,Vesicularia dubyana 'Christmas.
Thank you for reading and again sorry no pictures but this is just the planing stage and comments or pointers as to where I'm going wrong would be wonderful please. Have fun

Hello and welcome :D

My advice would be to drop all the ADA products if you're not going to use Aquasoil. You don't need all the additives or power sand - just go with the Tropica if you have to cover it in sand. That could save you hundreds of pounds of things you don't need. Another plan that many people do to use Aquasoil for the planted areas, and the sand in unplanted areas.

For ferts, you will spend far too much if you buy ADA. Particularly if you get the 90x45x45. Have a look at one of the forum sponsors for some dry ferts. KNO3, KPO4, MgSO4 and some trace will be plenty. If you get say 500g of each it will last you a long time.

Have a read of the Estimative Index article here if you haven't already - http://www.ukaps.org/EI.htm

Lighting looks good although you won't want their marine bulbs.

For filtration you would want a minimum of the EX1200 on the 90cm as you say.

For CO2, have a look on eBay for an 'UP' Regulator with a solenoid and 'UP' Atomizer. They will probably come from Hong Kong, but I have both and they are fantastic. The regulator is great for the money, and screws straight onto a FE.

Good luck :)

Tom

Thank you Tom. I will drop the ADA stuff it isn't needed. I have had a look on ebay and I found this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT ? as for the lights I think you can change them to tropical lights but if not I can replace the bulbs. I haven't read the Estimative Index article, as i was going to use the ADA products but I will have a read now and thank you for the link.
And thank you again :)

Back