• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low KH

BigDaddy

Its 5 °dKH (89.5 ppm) coming out of the tap yet only 1 °dKH (17.9ppm) in the tank 2 days after a water change

Why is it dropping so low?

It's just bog standard aquarium gravel thats been in there for yonks and gets a good hoover when doing a water change

It's hard to imagine how gravel could lower KH, increase it perhaps.
So, probably your KH is not changing. Did you measure it using a standard test kit? The kits that titrate the KH actually titrate the alkalinity in the sample.
So your 5KH could be an artefactually high reading, caused by eg NaOH or phosphate in the water, and that is neutralised in the tank. KH of 1 being nearer the truth.
That would be my guess anyway.

Hi all,
So your 5KH could be an artefactually high reading, caused by eg NaOH or phosphate in the water, and that is neutralised in the tank. KH of 1 being nearer the truth.
That would be my guess anyway
My guess as well, and probably NaOH, they add it to nearly all soft water in the UK to raise the pH (they also add PO4---, but that isn't such a strong base).

cheers Darrel

Back