• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low-Light Floating Plants

Hi all,
You could try Azolla, but it usually does best in bright conditions, it will also be green rather than red in low light.
Lemna gibba (Fat Duckweed) and Salvinia natans will grow in shaded conditions, and I've also found Limnobium (Amazon Frog-bit) will persist, although it may eventually dwindle as runner formation seems to be suppressed. I've got plenty of these spare if you would like any of them.
cheers Darrel

I've also grown red root floater (Phyllanthus fluitans) in quite dim conditions. It goes green and is much less vigorous but grows OK. Agree with Darrels comment on LImnobium - it will grow OK in low light. I have loads of both - PM me if you would like some.

John

Thanks all for your input and offers. It turns out that the only floaters I have are Phyllanthus Fluitans, Frogbit, and Salvinia Minima. So sounds like I am pretty much good to go. Dwarf water lettuce looks cool too. Going to have to keep my eye out for it!

Back