• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

low tech 40x40x30 scape

Hi folks, few quick pic's of this one after a quick water change and filter clean this morning,
moss needs a good trim,
24228562823_6da9c0dd90_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
this has grown well just from a rhizhome
24559923040_d0b89beef1_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
ludwigia over trimmed and i think i should be replanting the tops rather than waiting for the new growth being slow tech :lol:
24737544482_3f159d4f52_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
some nice algae on the dragon stone now since its lost its ludwigia cover :oops:
view from the top
24762389441_92d16cc0be_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
araguia doing well for low tech
24761953311_54e956fbfd_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
and my favourite view of the tank
24761952031_04b841336c_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
cheers for looking :)

That's pretty darn awesome Tim...I see you decided to keep the sandy bit free of veg - the negative sandy space works well to highlight the rest of the planting and scape in general.

got round to some much needed trimming today, moss was covering a lot of the smaller buces and anubias, have had to add in some ricardia covered lava rocks from an emersed setup which wasnt thriving, umbrosum trimmed and tops replanted should grow back in around 3 months, got some small buces arriving this week to be added in here and there, ticks along nicely and doesnt sulk if i forget a wc for a week or three :lol:
few iphone pics side on
24717876553_1c580fd41d_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
my favourite angle
25344628675_448d21e18e_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr
and front
24976965899_e19403fcd5_c.jpgUntitled by timyapp, on Flickr

Top job! Do you clean your rocks from time to time? They seem very clean already. I wonder whether you clean them or the rocks just stay algae free.

Reactions: tim
Top job! Do you clean your rocks from time to time? They seem very clean already. I wonder whether you clean them or the rocks just stay algae free.
Hi Alex, only rock that has been cleaned is the main or large rock once, gave it a quick brush with easycarb to kill off some thread algae, there is a little gsa on the rocks but I like it tbh, the thread algae hasn't returned since I moved the outflow from above the rock.

Wonderful composition Tim. I too like the open spaces. A few red shrimp or crystals could add visual interest to the foreground. The only other suggestion I would make is adding a black back, one that hides the back wall as well as the sucker discs and tubing. All in all very nice work.

Wonderful composition Tim. I too like the open spaces. A few red shrimp or crystals could add visual interest to the foreground. The only other suggestion I would make is adding a black back, one that hides the back wall as well as the sucker discs and tubing. All in all very nice work.
Thank you Rob, I will probably get round to adding some cherry or rilli shrimp to this one, as for the background I do tend to be quite lazy with the aesthetics of my tanks :lol: but a black background would set it off nicely, at the moment I seem to be addicted to adding more buces to this tank another 9 plants small varieties went in yesterday so the shrimp may have to wait.

Thanks a lot guys, returned home late yesterday evening and plants had arrived from aquarium gardens, super quality again :thumbup:
I decided to crack on and get them planted so here's a quick iphone pic edited with snapseed
View attachment 1413Untitled by timyapp, on Flickr
plant list
eleocharis acicularis, ludwigia arcuata, lilaeopsis novae zelandiae, micrantehmum umbrosum, hygrophilia araguia, and i have a portion of monte carlo to find a space for or i may try and fashion some mini wabi kusa type balls to plant the MC in so i can dot it in and around the rockwork,
cheers for the likes and comments so far :)

this looks superb. I'm looking for low tech ideas for my corner tank, and hadn't considered the senegal sand and that type of stone...I wonder how cardinal tetra's would look in this colour scheme, or if they'd look amiss

Lovely tank Tim, a real low tech inspiration. Looking forward to seeing the new Buces :clap:
Thanks Bex, I'll try and get some pics if I get round to a water change this week, added another 6 buces from aquarium gardens, superb little plants.
this looks superb. I'm looking for low tech ideas for my corner tank, and hadn't considered the senegal sand and that type of stone...I wonder how cardinal tetra's would look in this colour scheme, or if they'd look amiss
Thank you Aqua, unipac have stopped producing the Senegal sand unfortunately but if you can find some it complements the dragonstone really well.

Morning folks, a few pics from this one after a much needed water change this morning, i've added maybe another 12-15 small buces over the last month, a few of them have sulked and shed most of their leaves though the rhizhomes still feel firm so I'm hopeful they will recover.
love the colour of the new leaves on this one
25417595534_e96c11def8_c.jpg
Untitled
by timyapp, on Flickr
few more buce pics apologies the photography isn't great
25996391706_de79ac2e34_c.jpg
Untitled
by timyapp, on Flickr
25419752223_0c4e7de6bb_c.jpg
Untitled
by timyapp, on Flickr
the araguia and lilaeopsis growing very slowly together but i do like the mix
25929840542_73a96aeec2_c.jpg
Untitled
by timyapp, on Flickr
and my favourite view to finish
25419866503_fa9c033299_c.jpg
Untitled
by timyapp, on Flickr

Hi Tim, this is a gorgeous wee set up! I did prefer it before you added the lava rock. I would have tied some fissidens to very small wedges of steel mesh and tucked those in around the edges of the dragon rock.

Cheers, Lindy

Back