• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

low tech carpet plant other than crypts?

Ben M

(l) x (w) x (h)
hi, i have a 120cm x 40cm x 45cm, 216l tank. it has 1.25wpg of t8 and i dose 5mls TPN+ daily, (but i'm soon changing to EI). i don't use co2. i am looking for a carpet plant that will grow well in these conditions. are there any suitable species except crypts?

cheers :D

Eleocharis acicularis or parvula (hairgrass) will grow in low light and non-CO2 injected aquariums, just very slowly.

When I first started the hobby I bought a pot of E. acicularis, and not knowing any better just planted it, still in its pot in plain gravel. The tank was 125 litres and had 2 x 18w T8, no ferts, no CO2. After a couple of months it formed a nice carpet, even though it was still in its pot!

It's a much hardier and easier plant than many give it credit for.

Split the pot up into as many plantlets as you can to get the most efficient coverage. Pruning the tips can accelerate new growth but it isn't essential.

I hope that helps. :)

thanks, i had thought about E. acicularis or parvula in the past, but i was told that it needed co2. so i'll have a look for some dwarf hairgrass then. :thumbup:

thanks for the help! :D

Some say Marsilea species are good plants for carpeting low light tanks. I cannot comment from experience though...No matter what though they tend to grow super slow.

I've had parvula growing in a low light goldfish tank (my first fish tank) in roman gravel and still putting out lots of runners despite cool water, no ferts and regularly being nibbled. Wasn't very green due to lack of nutrients but still spread. Definately hardier than you might think. It was thoroughly neglected as I was totally clueless but still survived.

thanks, i'll definitely get some then. i'll have a look in this garden centre near me that have loads of pond stuff, as i have been told that they sell it cheap in pond places.

cheers :D

Back