• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Low Tech Mini

Bolota

Hi,

Reporting my first experiments with a low tech nano (started 2 weeks ago).

Tank: 40x25x27
Light: Aquael smart Leddy smart 6 w
Filter: Eheim liberty 70

Rocks and Soil:
Slate
Foreground: La plata sand
Beyond the rocks: Tropica's substrate and soil

Plants:
Bolbitis
Microsorum (Trident and mini)
Anubias Petite and Pangolino

Lighting period: so far 6 hours
Water changes: weekly (tap water KH ~2)
CO2: none
Ferts: none

Fish: none for the moment (a male betta is in another tank waiting...).

Some set up pics:

Attachments

• Mini_LT_hardscape.jpg
    Mini_LT_hardscape.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Mini_LT_01.jpg
    Mini_LT_01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 157
  • mini_LT_00.jpg
    mini_LT_00.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 162
Hi,

I would like to keep this one as minimal as possible, if possible even reducing the WC frequency, and also avoiding a heater. Could you please give me feedback on the following points:

- Should I consider any sort of liquid CO2? Should I wait to see the plant evolution?
- I was planing a betta for this one but I would rather prefer not to use a heater. What other fish would you recommend (given the general characteristics of the tank).
- I added Tropicas Soil and substrate just in case I decide to go with other plants (presently the plants are just attached to small stones and lying over the substrate). This means the plants have some nutrients being released... will they need additional nutrients soon?
- I don't have fast growers, but that should not be a problem... right?

Thanks,
Alvaro

Liquid CO2 will make it a high tech tank, which means it will need more water changes.
Avoiding a heater depends on the temperature of the room. If the room's temperature is stays at around 25ºC all year long, then you won't need a heater, if it drops too much, you'll need a heater if you want to keep tropical fish.
You'll probably need to add fertilizers for the plants.
You don't need fast growers if you know what you're doing. Fast growers are meant to keep excessive nutrients at bay, which keep algae under control.

I remember George made a scape specialy for these fish, the journal still must be around.. :)

Unfortunately no plants in unless that was a different scape.

Back