• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lower temperature plants

terrytherat

Seedling
Hi to you all
I have been a member on here for a number of years but have just been looking and admiring the living works of art on this great site
I am a lover of newts and keep European species and all my tanks are kept in my garden under cover now my problem is that i have got 2 x 200 litre tanks that I rear young newts in that I would like to aquascape but the temperature will only be between 65 and 70 f all year round with heaters.
my other tanks are at the mercy of the outside temperature and just have native plants and some Sagittaria subulata.
Any ideas what plants will work for me in the 65 to 70f tanks.
many thanks Terry

All native true aquatics will do very well and easily survive mild winters as evergreen.
Potamogeton sp.
Hornwort
frogbit
Nymphoides
Hydrocleys sp.

Of course a number of small lilies sp. all tho will die back in the winter due to light deficiency but the rhizome survives and it will grow back in the spring.

The tropical bog plant Lileaopsis sp. could do very well as a carpet and can survive mild winters in aquatic form as evergreen.

A lot depends on how mild or harsh the winter will be. This is out of our hands and makes it a bit trail and error... This year it's relatively mild till now, I still have Rotala growing lush and green today in an emerged form with shoots growing submerged. This while most flowering native bog plants die back after the summer. Such as the Watermint and bog pimpernel is gone, but remarkably the tropical Rotala indica is still alive and growing even after a few nights mild frosts.

Hi all,
Have a look at Marcel's (@zozo ) <"outside tanks">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrel
All native true aquatics will do very well and easily survive mild winters as evergreen.
Potamogeton sp.
Hornwort
frogbit
Nymphoides
Hydrocleys sp.

Of course a number of small lilies sp. all tho will die back in the winter due to light deficiency but the rhizome survives and it will grow back in the spring.

The tropical bog plant Lileaopsis sp. could do very well as a carpet and can survive mild winters in aquatic form as evergreen.

A lot depends on how mild or harsh the winter will be. This is out of our hands and makes it a bit trail and error... This year it's relatively mild till now, I still have Rotala growing lush and green today in an emerged form with shoots growing submerged. This while most flowering native bog plants die back after the summer. Such as the Watermint and bog pimpernel is gone, but remarkably the tropical Rotala indica is still alive and growing even after a few nights mild frosts.
Iv'e just read your posts what a great little set up you have created by the way your polywogs were toads many thanks Terry

Back