• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Lowest light(probably), low-tech scape

Hamza

Hello everyone!

Wanted to share favourite setup in my collection.
This tank started in 2011 as a dumptank for excess plants and fishes, that I dint want to give away.

Instead of going plainjane flat substrate, I opted to do a bit of scaping with it..a hardscape picture from 2011

DSC_9903.jpg

The tank had its share of ups and downs, times when much of water evaporated and it waited for me to fill it back again for weeks. Since past one year I have been supplementing it with excel and other nutrients often and the only maintenance I do is top it up and clean filter....thats the reason its my favourite, I do pretty much nothing and it still prospers.

I must admit, its hard to neglect the scratchy glass and shabby silicon sealing of the yesteryear, the powerhead on right(which pumps water into simple home-made gutter filter) and other annoying bits here and there, please try to ignore all that ;)

The current pictures of the setup.
Under its actual lighting conditions just a single 36w bulb over 180l tank
10269422_10203932071082237_3726573109463806841_n.jpg

Same light placed in front
10268428_10203932071282242_1294492372130148032_n.jpg

When lit by additional 36w bulb borrowed from another tank..
10313319_10203932071562249_5573168483709054081_n.jpg

Next time, I'll tidy up the glass and do a proper photoshoot without any equipment on..

Looking forward to hear your views on it.

Edit Tank specifications...

Tank - 90x45x45cm(180l)

Light - 1x36w fluorescent

substrate - laterite, potting soil topped by scoria(2-5mm)

Filter - simple home made gutter filter

Plants - anubias nana, anubias barteri, anubias petite, crypt wendtii, crypt blassi, crypt spiralis, crypt pontederiifolia, weeping moss, windelov fern, some other unidentified crypts

Inhabitants - ornate tetra, lemon tetra, rummy-nose tetras, phantom tetras, Indian hatchet fish, CAE, garra sp, schistura denisoni, swelia sp., assasin snails, RCS.

dosing-traces and excel(not on a regular basis)

Last edited:
looks good for a tank thats not used for more than keeping spare fish and plants nice one ! :)

I think it looks great.

Minimal effort is also a bonus!

:)
It sure is :) thanks!

The picture of the bare hardscape is really really nice. And you've clearly had a lot of patience to let it grow :)

Looks lovely and I'm sure the fish love the subdued lighting too.I do

Thank you!
Fish absolutely adore it, some of them are close to 3 years old.

looks good for a tank thats not used for more than keeping spare fish and plants nice one ! :)
Well done, it looks great.
Harry.

Thanks!

I love it. Very nice setup. Looks like a great scape for the fish to feel comfy too.
What type of stones are these?

The stones are river cobbles, commonly sold at a landscape store here.

This looks so natural and the river cobbles are lovely, giving a great sense of depth around the island.

Back