• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ludwigia Sedoides where to get it?

Wulfen

Hello all.
Was just watching this amazing looking floating plant on youtube.

Does anyone grow this and would it be suitable for an aquarium?

For L. sedoides, it's not commonly cultivated for commercial sale so you need to keep your ears close to the ground with collectors, best place for this is (regrettably now) facebook. Regarding aquarium suitability, it's really more happy as a conservatory pond plant. In aquarium situations the difficulty is meeting it's light expectations without also making life difficult for your submersed plants. This can be achievable but is certainly a tricky balancing act.

For alternative surface plants beyond floaters there a few Nymphaea types that can survive in the aquarium and although it doesn't produce a neat surface rosette like L. sedoides, a possible alternative 'show stopper' Ludwigia for consideration is L. sphaerocarpa, which is a big and flashy species with a broad compact rosette of leaves, definitely a focal point plant which can happily live underwater. I believe aquasabi sell it, as well as Alan Yusupov at theaquatank.com.

For L. sedoides, it's not commonly cultivated for commercial sale so you need to keep your ears close to the ground with collectors, best place for this is (regrettably now) facebook. Regarding aquarium suitability, it's really more happy as a conservatory pond plant. In aquarium situations the difficulty is meeting it's light expectations without also making life difficult for your submersed plants. This can be achievable but is certainly a tricky balancing act.

For alternative surface plants beyond floaters there a few Nymphaea types that can survive in the aquarium and although it doesn't produce a neat surface rosette like L. sedoides, a possible alternative 'show stopper' Ludwigia for consideration is L. sphaerocarpa, which is a big and flashy species with a broad compact rosette of leaves, definitely a focal point plant which can happily live underwater. I believe aquasabi sell it, as well as Alan Yusupov at theaquatank.com.
Cheers Finn for all the info :)

Hey, sorry for resurrecting an old post, but did anyone find this for sale in the UK?

All I can find are the seeds on Ebay, and I not sure on how to cultivate this from seed.

Why is this so hard to find here?

Hey, sorry for resurrecting an old post, but did anyone find this for sale in the UK?

All I can find are the seeds on Ebay, and I not sure on how to cultivate this from seed.

Why is this so hard to find here?
I just found this plant today in my local maidenhead aquatics but they only have one left never seen it before so was researching it when I came across this post it all makes sense now maybe I will get some and build a indoor pond for it

Back