• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Journal Mangrovium

Hi Courtney! I maybe do 3l a week these days. I dunno it just seems to work. I might even be able to get away with less but as things are stable I just continue. For a long time I was testing parameters at least weekly and the only thing I had go properly out of whack (that I was measuring) was magnesium. But even that has come into line with just water changes now. Because with softies and macroalgae you’re not aiming for zero nitrate and phosphate it seems to be able to work. I hardly test now, partly because I can tell from the look of the mushrooms and Xenia if something is off.

Your mileage may vary of course and I imagine it depends on your rock and substrate (and I have all those mangroves too). I only keep two small fish, and also remember I haven’t been able to keep any shrimp or hermits long term (I think because they’ve been underfed though).

Thanks Joel, that makes sense!
From the info I've gathered from macroalgae keepers, some do 30% weekly, some 10% weekly, some 50% monthly! It seems to all depend on the amount of beneficial bacteria your setup can host.

I'm planning to use an external filter as well as live rock so I think there should be plenty of leeway in terms of water quality.

Back