• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marine plant/seaweed identification - help needed

tekopikin

Hello all and a happy new year to you,

I am not too sure if this is the right place to ask about marine plants but just felt I should try all the same...so apologies if this is off-topic. I need some assistance in identifying this 'plant' (or should I say seaweed) which has decided to pop out of a particular live rock in my reef aquarium; it just doesn't look right especially when anchored on to the rock So I would like to know if I need to take prompt action and deal with it before it becomes a real problem :rolleyes:

Here's what it looks attached to the rock (sorry about the poor image quality as it was taken through dirty tank glass prior to a clean up/water change) :facepalm::
marineweed1.jpg

And here is what it looks like after it has been removed from the live rock:
marineweed2.jpg

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Never seen that before, I use a marine forum called thesaltybox.com ( sorry if not allowed to post that ) join up and ask,they are really helpful on there for all marine stuff.

Never seen that before, I use a marine forum called thesaltybox.com ( sorry if not allowed to post that ) join up and ask,they are really helpful on there for all marine stuff.
Great forum site! Signing up as I respond to this ;)

as above sargassum it will go by itself giveit a few weeks ;)
Thanks for that Gary, not sure how long it's been hanging around but I'm certain I spotted it sprouting in November last year. I'll leave it well alone for now.
Hi all,
It is Sargassum "hystrix" "Buxifolium".
cheers Darrel
Thanks Darrell, not sure if it's a good or bad 'un but it's certainly refreshing to be able to put a name to it :bookworm:

I was on ultimate reef for about 2 weeks, I won't say what I thought of the people and mods I came across. The salty box is a great friendly marine forum and everyone is happy to help on there.

I am dannyzx6r on there.

I was on ultimate reef for about 2 weeks, I won't say what I thought of the people and mods I came across. The salty box is a great friendly marine forum and everyone is happy to help on there.

I am dannyzx6r on there.
Dang!! There were loads of Danny's on the forum and I couldn't figure which one you were so I was forced to pick the lone Danny in there :banghead: For some reason last light I wasn't able to send you a PM to confirm that information - I'll send a message to the Admin to correct that information; dunno if you get any gratis points for introducing new members :thumbup:
Thanks for the recommendation, I was barely 5 minutes in there and I was hooked. You're are indeed right, it does seem like a friendly forum. What more can I ask for a brilliant freshwater/aquascaping and a marine/reef forum under my belt :woot:

Dang!! There were loads of Danny's on the forum and I couldn't figure which one you were so I was forced to pick the lone Danny in there :banghead: For some reason last light I wasn't able to send you a PM to confirm that information - I'll send a message to the Admin to correct that information; dunno if you get any gratis points for introducing new members :thumbup:
Thanks for the recommendation, I was barely 5 minutes in there and I was hooked. You're are indeed right, it does seem like a friendly forum. What more can I ask for a brilliant freshwater/aquascaping and a marine/reef forum under my belt :woot:

Yep, this is the best planted forum I have found and likewise SB is the best marine so well sorted lol Best thing of all is both are made up of almost all UK members :)

Back