• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Marking on Harlequin Rasbora

chris601

Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I'd be really grateful if someone out there could let me know what you think of this marking on my Harlequin Rasbora. It has been around for at least a month and the fish behaves normally, eats normally, and does not seem to be bothered. I thought it could be a fungal or bacterial infection. It doesn't seem to ever go away - at one point it got a bit larger and then I added Waterline Myxazin to the tank, which is designed to treat fin rot and ulcers and uses malachite green. It then got a bit smaller again.

The tank parameters are NH3 o, N02 0, N03 10, pH 7.2, gH 8, kH 3.

Does anyone have any idea what I am dealing with here? The tail is a bit droopy as well, at times.

IMG_7271.jpg

Looks like a skin (external) parasite... Send an e-mail with a picture to this address.

In my case a few years ago, the fish doctor (founder of this company) responded within a day, asked several questions and provided me with a solution...
They are much more experienced in determining a diagnosis from general information. With much less experience it's a best guess and you at least need a skin sample and a microscope and the knowledge to know what you see and what to look for. Taking a skin sample from such a tiny fish most likely will cause too much damage and be fatal anyway. Could be the price to pay to save the rest, but if this can be prevented then it's one more life saved. All tho don't get you're hopes up too high, this one still might die because it has too much damage already. Looks like the parasite damaged the eye which is an entry for bacteria infecting the brainstem.

Welcome to UKAPS It's hard to determine but could be a result of injury leaving suspectable to infection parasitic maybe, l would isolate quarantine if possible and treat with Waterlife the med your using following the instructions to the letter

The eye looks strange in this image.

It indeed does and looks like a partially cloudy and damaged retina. Which actually was the trigger for me to jump to the conclusion it might be an external skin parasite nesting in the eye. Several parasites are able to do this. Or it could be an ulcer caused by physical damage or a form of cancer.

Pictures can sometimes be deceiving...

Back