• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

maximium stock??

gsxrjames

Seedling
Hi i have a 110L tank and was wondering if i have reached my maximium stock i have :-

4 x clown loach 1.5"
4x tiger bard
2x green tiger barb
2x silver shark
2x red tailed black shark
2x cory catfish
1x common plec

Maybe not yet but you will soon be way overstocked I'm afraid. Clown loaches can get over 10" long and silver sharks and common plecs about the same.

Also I'm sorry to say that two RTBS in a tank this size is likely to end in one being killed as they can get very territorial. Your LFS really shouldn't have sold you two - they must know what is likely to happen.

If you got all these fish from one store then I'd be tempted to complain about what they've sold you and take the plec, the two silver sharks and one of the RTBSs back straight away. Get a couple of Ancistrus instead of the plecs as they stay small and do a good job with algae. Explain to them also that, unless you get a bigger tank, you will be bringing 4 clown loaches back soon and also say how disgusted you are that they sold you these fish never asking what size tank you have. Sorry but this kind of thing really annoys me as they should have asked what size tank the fish were going in, they never should have sold two RT sharks at the same time (unless you went back and got another later?). This is a good lesson why you really need to do some research before buying any fish as fish stores unfortunately will often not be responsible in what they sell.

And there was me reading the title and thinking there is no fixed rule that really fits with stocking...that is ofcourse within the realms of some knowledge and sense.

That stocking is simply ludicrous and unfortunately not a big surprise, ive seen it way too often.

I dont know how these were aquired, but responsibility does reside with both the purchaser and the seller. At least at the moment they are all probably quite small and not in an immediate danger, but take Ed's advice on the unsuitable species.

thanks for the advice ed i'll give my friend one of the RTBS, im planning on getting a larger tank very soon.

why do certain people need to be so sarcastic while posting comments :(

You should get back to your LFS:

4 x clown loach 1.5"
2x silver shark
1x red tailed black shark
1x common plec

Or plan a really big tank for them soon.

Cheers,
Mike

gsxrjames said:
thanks for the advice ed i'll give my friend one of the RTBS, im planning on getting a larger tank very soon.

No problem for the advice, glad to be of help. You'll need a pretty big tank for the silver sharks though I'm afraid. They are wonderful fish (one of my favourite larger fish) but they are active shaoling fish that really need to be kept in groups in a big tank. I have never kept them as I wouldn't want to keep them unless I had a 6ft tank to keep a small group in. Similar things with the clown loach really as they approach adult size, though they aren't as active. At least the plec isn't too active but look at these googles for some idea of what they grow into,
Pictures
Links

Even with a larger tank I'd still look at complaining to the store and taking some of these back, sorry.

Back