• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Members Backgrounds

Left School on a Friday, got a job on Monday as a Sawyer at a local sawmill until I was 18, then became a Coalman (best job I ever had) until 21, then became a Truck Driver and it's been downhill ever since, now a Tanker Driver.

Jeeze, youth of today.... Saturday and Sunday sat on your crack... when I was young.... i used to... 😆

I used to dream about weekends off.
I wish I could be called 'youth of today' sadly those days are long, long, long behind me:( I used to work every Saturday until I became a truck driver

I've just retired from being a gigging bass player.
Day job is repairing/maintaining guitars, basses and other stringed instruments.
G mac, I have made and sold around 40 guitars, I am not sure if I ever made more that a few quid out of any of them! It is certainly not an easy way to get rich!.

Last edited:
I'm a Fine Art Screenprinter. Back in the day I was a young graphic designer (before computers) on a YTS scheme for £29.50 a week. I was very lucky, as I started at 16 after leaving school in Cornwall with pretty much nothing to show. After working 3 years I went to Art School, just to be lazy really and have some fun. After all it was free then!
I did a bit of Screenprinting there and thought it was pretty cool and slightly strange.
I later carried on being lazy in London at Art School because I was good at it and thought it was easy. ( Hold on a minute there's a theme here!)
Anyway I became a Screenprinter, printing editions for Artists. It was such horrible, hard work. Turn a human into a machine, you get the picture.
Up to now I have been teaching people to print in London at a large University for 22 years.
I still love it. Mostly.
That's lucky!

G mac, I have made and sold around 40 guitars, I am not sure if I ever made more that a few quid out of any of them! It is certainly not an easy way to get rich!.
I wouldn’t want to attempt to make a living building them from scratch, admire anyone who can build them though..
Did you build acoustics?

I have been working in supply chain management [Logistics] in the Hospital environment for 17 years. Had to relocate from a city to a small town which is laid back & relaxed 😌 😎
Sad part is that the local LFS in the town sells mostly guppies, goldfish & smalllllllll selection of plants.
No hardscapes or choice lighting to choose from.
Otherwise all's good

Hello ! so interesting to discover the backgroud of many members ! Scientific, artistic, technical etc... Great topic !

As a kid my favourite hobby was mixing funny products to get funny results (for example mixing fertilizers and sugar to fuel cardboard rockets,...still got my hands, legs, eyes etc... but it is a miracle...), and that was really scaring my parents...Then my dream was to become an airliner pilot, but an eye deficiency stopped that dream.. and i became a Physics and Chemistry Engineer in 1991 (back to funny mixtures).

My first job was to visit oil production fiedls around the world (on and offshore) to design chemicals for crude oil processing (viscosity modifiers). It was a great job, globe trotter style, discovering many countries and people, trying to learn some words of different languages, trying to learn how to write with different alphabets etc... After 911 2001 security conditions in different countries began to deteriorate, war in Irak in 2003 (I was working in Koweit at that time, and I realized that the black smoke I saw on the other side of the Irak Border was not only a TV breaking new), the fact of travelling really too much and not having time to see my children grow up made me change my job plan, and from 2004 I have been working in France, in different industries (asphalt, concrete, and now varnishes and paints). I am currently the operations director for a company that produces coatings for wood, for industrial applications (kitchen cabinets, coffins, flooring etc...).
Now my kids are away from home, everything is OK for them, they have their job, their flat (but no fish tanks haha) , and I am quietly waiting for my retirement :)

As a chemist, i enjoy reading long threads on pH, KH, solubility, conductivity etc... and after reading, I go back to my fishtank and say to him: hey man, you know that the best to do is not adding this and that to the water to monitor pH and KH and GH and... no, the best is.... time ! :) Time will tell ;)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t want to attempt to make a living building them from scratch, admire anyone who can build them though..
Did you build acoustics?
I am still build guitars but only to order and only one or two a year, my speciality was (is) Tenor Guitars in both solid or acoustic.
Recently finished this 21” scale electric….
IMG_9194.jpeg

Adding to the theme of electronics.
15 years in the R.A.F. as a Ground Radar and Communications Tech. 8 years as a Project Engineer and Project Manager for Engineering Consultancy. The rest in London Underground finally as Communications Asset Manager. Retired 7 years ago due to ill health and trying not to be stressed. Failing miserably :p
It's great doing something totally different to competing in the rat race :cool:
Brian

I did a degree in biology, because I've always been a natural history nerd, then got involved in a sub-aqua diving business - the deal was I'd work for bed and board in exchange for training. Sadly the business was run by an idiot who turned out to have lied about having any start up capital to his backers and the business went belly-up after just nine months.
But not before repeated dives in the English Channel in badly fitting wet-suits, combined with 18 hour working days, had wrecked my health. Totally exhausted and miserable, I was badgered by a friend into going to see an acupuncturist. I grudgingly went along for the first appointment and was so intrigued and fascinated by my own response, physically and emotionally, that a year later I'd started a three year professional training program in traditional acupuncture. That was 36 years ago.

About fifteen years ago, following my wife having a near fatal RTA, I had to switch gears to provide the vast majority of her care as she's gone through multiple cycles of surgery and remobilisation, which are still ongoing. Keeping aquariums keeps me (somewhat) sane and gives her something beautiful to look at.

Grew up near Cirencester, went to Uni in Northampton (Environmental Biology). Always wanted an environmental job, but have never been successful in my search, so ended up as a primary school teacher for the last 24 years. It's completely worn me out, so packed in my full-time job at Christmas and I'm doing supply to tide me over, while I look for an environment job again. No luck so far, but hopefully something will turn up before long.

Back