• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mercury vapour bulbs

agol77

Hi All

This is my first post, but I have been on here a while, trying to absorb as much information as possible. I have taken inspiration from Big Tom and Alistair and have set up my own low tech, compost based tank. 'Tis early days, but things are starting to take off.

Right, my question. For some unknown reason, I really wanted to try a Guisemann Wega Comfort on my tank, so that is what I did. I really like the look of the pendant and the plants seem to be doing well under it. The only issue is that it is a very yellow light. I did my research, so was expecting it, but not quite as yellow as it is.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get a different bulb for these pendants, preferably one that is more on the crisp white spectrum? The Wega lights half my tank (which is 72"x30"x24") and I have four TMC grobeam LED strips over the other half. I prefer the colour of the LEDs, but plant growth is definitely slower.

I will attempt to attach a couple of pics, but they are phone shots, so are pretty poor.

Any info
etu3ydy7.jpg
y7egutu8.jpg
4u9azapu.jpg
about new bulbs would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rob. I have some more crypts on order now, to replace the remaining stems I put in for the early stages, and need to sort out the far edges, as they're looking a bit sparse. It's coming along though, and I'm pleased with the growth rate of most plants, considering I'm not using ferts or CO2.

Edvet, thanks for your reply. I did contact Guisemann and they said they only know of the one bulb, which is the one they supply. I do remember seeing a thread on here a while ago though, where someone mentioned that it would be possible to use a MH bulb in the pendent instead of the MV. I've not been able to find the thread since though, so maybe I dreamt it.

I guess I'll have to learn to live with the yellow colour.

That'll involve drilling more holes in the ceiling, which I was hoping to avoid, as my popularity at home diminishes with every hole drilled! It's an interesting idea though, so I'll have a play around with some spare T8s I have, to see if adding them changes the colour a bit.

Cheers for you help, it's much appreciated.

Back