metal halides over a 60 x30 x 36 advice.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mark Evans, 19 Aug 2008.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

metal halides over a 60 x30 x 36 advice. thoughts?

im after decent MH lights. sfter seeing them in TGM i was amazed in the difference in quality of light.

mark

2. Garuf

Garuf Member

The best one for a tank of this size would ideally be a 70watt one, I know that both arcadia and aquamedic both offered them but I haven't been able to find them in the uk. Maybe TMG can help?

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

AE do a 70w pendant MH, just wondered if they were any good. did you get the hc garuf?

mark

4. Garuf

Garuf Member

I did, I have Wayyyy too much still I was about to post up a thread giving it away.

5. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

better too much than not enough. i was wrong about AE. thats a 150w pendant.

6. Garuf

Garuf Member

I suppose you could just go for a 150 and hang it really high up? I'd still try and get a 70w one though, like I said before I've found them but only stateside. :(

7. Garuf

Garuf Member

8. PM

PM Member

Here's a 70W one. http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12_228&products_id=1451

Beautiful, but not cheap. I was considering this ages ago and emailed to ask if it was poss to buy it and later on if need be use a 150W bulb. They said that this is not poss and I would need to buy a whole new unit.

I reckon if you get a 150W one, you better fill that tank right up with plants otherwise you might have problems!

I'd love a MH, but I think that they aren't so great on smaller tanks.

EDIT: Just get a 24W T5 Osram 8000K for a fiver, the difference is worth the money tenfold!