• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

micro and macro dosage

all elements will be sulfate base
Mnso4,cuso4,znso4,h3bo3,Na2MoO4*2H2O
Fe edta,fe dtpa,eddha,fe gluconate
Would just white vinegar be enough as a preservative? I will prepare it in a 200ml empty bottle.
Vinegar doesn't fully preserve the solution, while it may kill or prevent some of the mold/bacteria. Potassium Sorbate will preserve the solution to much high degree. Vinegar primarily lower the PH and acidify the solution.
Or is EDTA necessary?
for most Micros, chelation isn't necessary. Fe and Mn may require the Chelation but usually Fe should be Chelated especially if you want to work with a hard water with high PH/KH.

I prefer using DTPA Fe over EDTA Fe regardless of hard or soft water

Vinegar doesn't fully preserve the solution, while it may kill or prevent some of the mold/bacteria. Potassium Sorbate will preserve the solution to much high degree. Vinegar primarily lower the PH and acidify the solution.

for most Micros, chelation isn't necessary. Fe and Mn may require the Chelation but usually Fe should be Chelated especially if you want to work with a hard water with high PH/KH.

Thank you friend, my water TDS value is between 80 and 90. I think macro is in a separate bottle, micro is in a separate bottle, iron is in a separate bottle. Yes, dtpa chelate would be nice, but it is very difficult to find dtpa chelate in my country, since I have very little dtpa chelate on hand, I also use EDTA iron. I will reduce it to 40 and 50 tds

How many ppm of dtpa iron do you use? You said it was 0.1 ppm per week. How many ppm of dtpa is this?

How many grams of potassium sorbate should I use for a 250 ml bottle?

Thank you friend, my water TDS value is between 80 and 90. I think macro is in a separate bottle, micro is in a separate bottle, iron is in a separate bottle. Yes, dtpa chelate would be nice, but it is very difficult to find dtpa chelate in my country, since I have very little dtpa chelate on hand, I also use EDTA iron. I will reduce it to 40 and 50 tds
TDS has nothing to do with this, even though higher TDS generally mean higher GH/KH etc. but the primary issues are related to PH/KH when we refer on using chelation. there is no issue mixing a different chelation of Iron together.
How many ppm of dtpa iron do you use? You said it was 0.1 ppm per week. How many ppm of dtpa is this?
I believe you are not fully understanding how this whole process works. I suggest reading up on ppm, fertilizer, chelation etc. to understand them better. or I can just help you build your solution if you could provide your water report if you will be using a tap water.

TDS has nothing to do with this, even though higher TDS generally mean higher GH/KH etc. but the primary issues are related to PH/KH when we refer on using chelation. there is no issue mixing a different chelation of Iron together.

I believe you are not fully understanding how this whole process works. I suggest reading up on ppm, fertilizer, chelation etc. to understand them better. or I can just help you build your solution if you could provide your water report if you will be using a tap water.
I know what chelations are for, I am giving an example, 0.05ppm iron dtpa weekly, 0.05ppm iron heedta, etc. I asked as an example, I use ro water.

I know what chelations are for, I am giving an example, 0.05ppm iron dtpa weekly, 0.05ppm iron heedta, etc. I asked as an example, I use ro water.
0.1ppm edta =0.1ppm dtpa, I believe.
I believe we may be having a language barrier, possibly due to translation if that is what you are using. ok lets start with your tank, how many gallon or liters is it going to be? then your solution size for Micro and Macros? 500 ml? then how many ml per dose? 10 ml, 20 ml?

0.1ppm edta =0.1ppm dtpa, I believe.
"PPM or Parts Per Million is a unit used to describe very small concentrations of a substance in a larger solution"

EDTA and DTPA are not the same, they both use different way of Chelation and DTPA is more stable overall, EDTA uses Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid while DTPA uses Pentetic acid.

I use HEEDTA Combined with DTPA, this combination is also not the same as using EDTA and DTPA, some of the reasons are explained here: EDTA vs HEEDTA

but for your purpose, EDTA and DTPA Fe combination will work fine as well, even DTPA fe alone combined with Sulphate based Micros works just fine.

"PPM or Parts Per Million is a unit used to describe very small concentrations of a substance in a larger solution"

EDTA and DTPA are not the same, they both use different way of Chelation and DTPA is more stable overall, EDTA uses Ethylenediaminetetraacetic acid while DTPA uses Pentetic acid.

I use HEEDTA Combined with DTPA, this combination is also not the same as using EDTA and DTPA, some of the reasons are explained here: EDTA vs HEEDTA

but for your purpose, EDTA and DTPA Fe combination will work fine as well, even DTPA fe alone combined with Sulphate based Micros works just fine.
Dude, I am thinking of dosing iron weekly like this. I have 6% edta iron, 7% dtpa iron, 6% eddha, I will make a combination like this: 0.06ppm dtpa iron, 0.03ppm edta iron, 0.01ppm eddha iron, that is, 0.1ppm weekly.

0.06 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.05 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.05 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.02 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe, 0.04 Fe Gluconate = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.06 ppm HEEDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe

I believe this is what you meant? the total ppm of Fe will remain 0.1 ppm Fe, but each combination may produce different results.

the degradation goes something like this:
Fe Gluconate
EDTA Fe
HEEDTA Fe
DTPA Fe

if all are combined in this manner: 0.03 ppm Fe Gluconate, 0.03 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe, you get quick boost from Fe Gluconate then EDTA and DTPA will continue to feed the Fe, Fe EDTA will degrade in few days, while DTPA Fe will continue to provide Fe even up to one full week when condition are good.

I believe we may be having a language barrier, possibly due to translation if that is what you are using. ok lets start with your tank, how many gallon or liters is it going to be? then your solution size for Micro and Macros? 500 ml? then how many ml per dose? 10 ml, 20 ml?
yes I don't know much English

0.06 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.05 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.05 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.02 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe, 0.04 Fe Gluconate = 0.1 ppm Total Fe
0.06 ppm HEEDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe

I believe this is what you meant? the total ppm of Fe will remain 0.1 ppm Fe, but each combination may produce different results.

the degradation goes something like this:
Fe Gluconate
EDTA Fe
HEEDTA Fe
DTPA Fe

if all are combined in this manner: 0.03 ppm Fe Gluconate, 0.03 ppm EDTA Fe, 0.04 ppm DTPA Fe = 0.1 ppm Total Fe, you get quick boost from Fe Gluconate then EDTA and DTPA will continue to feed the Fe, Fe EDTA will degrade in few days, while DTPA Fe will continue to provide Fe even up to one full week when condition are good.
That's exactly what I wanted to learn🙂

Dude, I am thinking of dosing iron weekly like this. I have 6% edta iron, 7% dtpa iron, 6% eddha, I will make a combination like this: 0.06ppm dtpa iron, 0.03ppm edta iron, 0.01ppm eddha iron, that is, 0.1ppm weekly.
this will work fine as well. but you didn't answer the following:
"ok lets start with your tank, how many gallon or liters is it going to be? then your solution size for Micro and Macros? 500 ml? then how many ml per dose? 10 ml, 20 ml?"

I didn’t say that they are the same. What I said, or was trying to say, is that the amount of 0.1ppm is always 0.1ppm, irrespective of what type of chelated iron is used.

this will work fine as well. but you didn't answer the following:
"ok lets start with your tank, how many gallon or liters is it going to be? then your solution size for Micro and Macros? 500 ml? then how many ml per dose? 10 ml, 20 ml?"
aquarium 75 liters macros I will use in a 500 ml stock bottle, 5 ml will be in a micro 250 ml bottle, room 10 ml

These are my standard. I target N as Proxy for my Macro dose, so it could be anywhere from 1-3 ppm N weekly. However, I never feel the need to exceed the Micro dose of 0.1 ppm Fe weekly as Proxy, regardless of weather I dose 1 or 3 ppm N.

RO water Mineralized to:
CaSo4:
Ca 10
S 8.0006
dGH 1.4007

MgSo4:
Mg 4
S 5.2771
dGH 0.9234

Macros, 1-2X Week:
N 1
P 0.13
K 0.8

KNO3, NH4NO3, UREA, KH2PO4:
0.23 N from KNO3
0.27 N from NH4NO3
0.5 N from Urea

Weekly:
Fe 0.1
Mn 0.067
Zn 0.014
B 0.014
Cu 0.014
Mo 0.004

Fe DTPA, Fe HEEDTA, Mn EDTA, Zn EDTA, H3BO3, Cu EDTA, Na2MoO4*2H2O

RO water Mineralized to:
CaCl:
Ca. 10
Cl 17.69
dGH. 1.42

MgSo4:
Mg. 4
S. 5.28
dGH. 0.92

Macros, 1-2X Week:
N 1
P 0.13
K 0.8

NH4NO3, KH2PO4, KCL (or K2SO4)

Weekly:
Fe 0.1
Mn 0.067
Zn 0.014
B 0.014
Cu 0.014
Mo 0.004

Fe DTPA, Fe HEEDTA, Mn EDTA, Zn EDTA, H3BO3, Cu EDTA, Na2MoO4*2H2O

Yep
Hi, since I will use happi urea, is nickel necessary? Do I need to keep the micro mix as well?

Hi
Can you give us the recipe for you macro and micro fertiliser as follows:
  1. Chemicals used in mg
  2. Volume of water used to make the stock solution.
  3. Volume of stock fertiliser and to 100L aquarium
  4. Frequency of fertilising.

Hi
Can you give us the recipe for you macro and micro fertiliser as follows:
  1. Chemicals used in mg
  2. Volume of water used to make the stock solution.
  3. Volume of stock fertiliser and to 100L aquarium
  4. Frequency of fertilising.
For a 100 liter tank, potassium nitrate, 8.15gr urea, 5.36gr ammonium chloride, 5.16gr phosphate, 931mg 5ml+5ml weekly in a 500ml water container. The sale of NH4NO3 is prohibited in my country. I use NH4Cl instead. I'm currently testing ammonium chloride.

Last edited:
Back