• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

micro and macro dosage

hassan how do you determine N03 caused this algae? You switch dosing regimes weekly, maybe the algae was caused by something you changed last week.
For the record I'm interested in how this thread pans out, for my own reasons. But we shouldn't automatically assume x caused y because we added z a day ago.
I am aware that there is a mistake here. 0.25ppm kno3 0.25ppm mgno3 With 0.5 urea, the plants were happy as much as 2N. What I should have done here could have been this. If I had given 0.5ppm N as urea, maybe that algae would not be there.

Copper is required for many enzyme activities in plants and for chlorophyll, so little extra copper maybe helpful. Almost all my recipes usually have little extra copper. The max weekly dose of between 0.006 to 0.014 is plentiful.

aromatica did quite well for me even under much lower micros than you currently use. You are more than welcome to play around with the Macros including if you want to raise the potassium a little as well, Just to see what happens. You are welcome to try just the DTPA Fe at 0.1 ppm weekly or increase it as needed and dose the micros as needed. For macros, you can also change the way Nitrogen is supplied but I use to only use urea and these plant never failed on me. You must play around with the fertilizer and tweak them as they work. The recipes you currently use should work but you may be facing some others unknown issues. You can also try the Chelated recipe that I posted above.

Can you post more pictures of your plants so I could get better idea?

You posted these last time:
I have this potassium sulfate on hand.
Screenshot_2024-03-23-01-30-19-137_com.android.chrome.jpg

But most plant here don't look that bad at all. There appear to be some minor algae on some of the older growth. You may only need few minor tweaks at this point.

What lights are you using?
Yes, there is a small problem. In general, I am satisfied with this macro. I use Weekaqua Z400 Pro as a light. I use it at 75 percent setting. I can lower the light level a little.

Hi all,
Magnesium nitrate seems to work better than potassium nitrate
So we have potassium nitrate (KNO3) and magnesium nitrate (Mg(NO3)2.6H2O). Both compounds are highly soluble. The nitrate ion (NO3-) is the same in both cases, it doesn't matter where it has come from.

So if there is a difference (assuming that we supply the same quantity of NO3- in both cases?) it isn't the nitrate ion, it must relate to the cation (K+ or Mg++) and mean that you had sub-optimal levels of magnesium initially, or that you had a very high potassium to magnesium ratio.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

So we have potassium nitrate (KNO3) and magnesium nitrate (Mg(NO3)2.6H2O). Both compounds are highly soluble. The nitrate ion (NO3-) is the same in both cases, it doesn't matter where it has come from.

So if there is a difference (assuming that we supply the same quantity of NO3- in both cases?) it isn't the nitrate ion, it must relate to the cation (K+ or Mg++) and mean that you had sub-optimal levels of magnesium initially, or that you had a very high potassium to magnesium ratio.

cheers Darrel
weekly total of 1.305ppm potassium magnesium 1.2ppm from magnesium nitrate and magnesium sulfate (10ppm calcium 4ppm magnesium sulfate for gh) 1.2=5.2ppm magnesium

@hasan66

you can also play with something like this:

500 ml, 5 ml per 75 liters:

7.16 gram Nh4Cl

N 0.25
Cl 0.63

13.574 grams KNO3

NO3 1.11
N 0.25
K 0.7

4.3 grams KH2PO4

PO4 0.4
P 0.13
K 0.16

8.04 grams Urea
N 0.5

you can target 10 ppm Ca using CaSO4 and 4 ppm Mg using MgSO4 to the water changes, you can skip the CaCl. far as the micros goes, you can continue to use the current recipe or you can also play around with this one here #144

far as you getting a very good results with Tropica, like I said you cannot replace it even if you were to clone it, you may still get good results with the clone if not perfect.

far as KNO3 vs MgNO3 goes, when mixed in the solution they may produce different results for the plants due to the chemical reactions.

@hasan66

7.16 gram Nh4Cl

N 0.25
Cl 0.63

13.574 grams KNO3
NO3 1.11
N 0.25
K 0.7

4.3 grams KH2PO4
PO4 0.4
P 0.13
K 0.16

8.04 grams Urea
N 0.5

you can target 10 ppm Ca using CaSO4 and 4 ppm Mg using MgSO4 to the water changes, you can skip the CaCl. far as the micros goes, you can continue to use the current recipe or you can also play around with this one here #144

far as you getting a very good results with Tropica, like I said you cannot replace it even if you were to clone it, you may still get good results with the clone if not perfect.

far as KNO3 vs MgNO3 goes, when mixed in the solution they may produce different results for the plants due to the chemical reactions.
Ok @Happi

am not sure if you are able to find Individual Chelated Micros in Türkiye ? if you have the budget, you can look into this as well, just be aware your room now going to look like chemical lab :)
you may also be able to help your local hobbyists as well

@hasan66

7.16 gram Nh4Cl

N 0.25
Cl 0.63

13.574 grams KNO3
NO3 1.11
N 0.25
K 0.7

4.3 grams KH2PO4
PO4 0.4
P 0.13
K 0.16

8.04 grams Urea
N 0.5

I don't need to add 0.4ppm magnesium sulfate, right?

I don't need to add 0.4ppm magnesium sulfate, right?
Magnesium is already covered at the water changes. by observing your plants from this picture #150
it appear as you may be dealing with Iron issues, if you rule out the Iron then it could be related to Mn. we won't know unless you play around with this.

am not sure if you are able to find Individual Chelated Micros in Türkiye ? if you have the budget, you can look into this as well, just be aware your room now going to look like chemical lab :)
you may also be able to help your local hobbyists as well
Yes, there are no chelated products in Turkey. That's why I have to use non-chelated products. My room is full of fertilizers. Apart from my existing fertilizers, I ordered potassium chloride and potassium sulfate.🙂

Magnesium is already covered at the water changes. by observing your plants from this picture
it appear as you may be dealing with Iron issues, if you rule out the Iron then it could be related to Mn. we won't know unless you play around with this.
I have an iron problem, yes I am aware of it. I applied weekly mn to 0.01 ppm and weekly to 0.15 ppm but nothing changed. My aromatica plant shows the iron problem more clearly. There is whitening on the leaves. Should I lower or increase the Mn dose?

I have an iron problem, yes I am aware of it. I applied weekly mn to 0.01 ppm and weekly to 0.15 ppm but nothing changed. My aromatica plant shows the iron problem more clearly. There is whitening on the leaves. Should I lower or increase the Mn dose?
try increasing the Mn a little bit, you can even use it at 1:1 Fe:Mn ratio so that mean 0.1 ppm Mn and 0.1 ppm Fe and observe the plants.

what kind of soil do you use? do you have have any root tabs added to it?

Magnesium is already covered at the water changes. by observing your plants from this picture
I said that I did a big water change, I targeted 10ppm ca 4ppm magnesium like 90 percent, I will do a 50 percent water change this week. Isn't my 5ppm ca 2ppm magnesium target correct? Sometimes if I wait 2 weeks and do a 50 percent water change and aim for 10ppm ca 4 ppm magnesium, would it be correct?

try increasing the Mn a little bit, you can even use it at 1:1 Fe:Mn ratio so that mean 0.1 ppm Mn and 0.1 ppm Fe and observe the plants.

what kind of soil do you use? do you have have any root tabs added to it?
I use tropica active soil and there is tropica substrate at the bottom, but my soil is old, I am using this tank as an experiment, actually I have new soil.

Back