• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

micro and macro dosage

I said that I did a big water change, I targeted 10ppm ca 4ppm magnesium like 90 percent, I will do a 50 percent water change this week. Isn't my 5ppm ca 2ppm magnesium target correct? Sometimes if I wait 2 weeks and do a 50 percent water change and aim for 10ppm ca 4 ppm magnesium, would it be correct?
yes if you do 90-100 % change then you add 10 ppm Ca and 4 ppm Mg, afterward every time you do any 50% water change, you add 5 ppm Ca and 2 ppm Mg.

I use tropica active soil and there is tropica substrate at the bottom, but my soil is old, I am using this tank as an experiment, actually I have new soil.
can you clarify this? I was bit confused on this part "but my soil is old" and "actually I have new soil"

can you clarify this? I was bit confused on this part "but my soil is old" and "actually I have new soil"
The soil in my current tank is 1.5 years old. I am using this tank for testing purposes with fertilizers, but I currently have 18 liters of soil that has never been opened, so if I find the right ratio, I will change the soil of my tank.

The soil in my current tank is 1.5 years old. I am using this tank for testing purposes with fertilizers, but I currently have 18 liters of soil that has never been opened, so if I find the right ratio, I will change the soil of my tank.
I recommend keeping the old soil, it will act as an nutrient absorbers and you will highly benefit from it especially while using Urea/NH4 as liquid fertilizer.

do you test for NO3 levels in the aquarium? also, how much of filter media are you using in your filters?

I recommend keeping the old soil, it will act as an nutrient absorbers and you will highly benefit from it especially while using Urea/NH4 as liquid fertilizer.

do you test for NO3 levels in the aquarium? also, how much of filter media are you using in your filters?
No, I did not test the NO3 levels in the aquarium. There is only 1 liter of sera siporax biological sponge and 1 layer of fiber in my filter. Yes, I will clean my old soil and set up a new tank with it.

I will not use Substrate when I set up a new tank. In my opinion, it does more harm than good, I think it is nutrient leakage.

try increasing the Mn a little bit, you can even use it at 1:1 Fe:Mn ratio so that mean 0.1 ppm Mn and 0.1 ppm Fe and observe the plants.

what kind of soil do you use? do you have have any root tabs added to it?
For example, let's say I made the manganese and iron ratio 1:1 and the problem still persists, would there be a problem if I changed the manganese ratio to 1.2 1.3?

For example, let's say I made the manganese and iron ratio 1:1 and the problem still persists, would there be a problem if I changed the manganese ratio to 1.2 1.3?
its good to experiment because non chelated Micros are more prone to oxidization and Precipitation. but, if it still doesn't resolve the issues then we need to look somewhere else, but Fe and Mn are usually at fault under such scenario. Magnesium can also be a problem but in your case, there is plenty so am not worried about that.

its good to experiment because non chelated Micros are more prone to oxidization and Precipitation. but, if it still doesn't resolve the issues then we need to look somewhere else, but Fe and Mn are usually at fault under such scenario. Magnesium can also be a problem but in your case, there is plenty so am not worried about that.
Thanks @Happi 🙏🙏

I give feedback, manganese in micro 0.1ppm iron dtpa 0.05 iron gluconate instead of iron edta 0.04ppm 0.01ppm iron eddha boron 0.010 ppm copper 0.010ppm zinc 0.010ppm weekly is quite enough 5ppm calcium 2.5ppm Cacl 2.5ppm calcium sulfate 1.4ppm magnesium sulfate 1ppm magnesium nitrate 0.23N urea 0.77ppm 0.6ppm weekly magnesium nitrate comes 0.8ppm potassium 0.4ppm potassium sulfate 0.4ppm kcl weekly =1.6ppm potassium

Last edited:
IMG_20240327_213809.jpg

Can you post a closeup pictures of what you are refering to?
Can you post a closeup pictures of what you are refering to?
I don't know how obvious it is from the photo, but the darkening occurs on the stems of the plant, then it starts at the tips of my leaves, and this darkening is more noticeable on the oldest leaves.

Back