• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microbe lift bio,

Hi all,
I'll be honest, it isn't going to do any harm , but at £10 for 118 mL? I would describe their pricing as <"aspirational">.
microbe lift bio
I haven't tried it, the CO2 bit is <"economical with the truth">, at the most charitable <"Microbe-Lift Bio CO2 Liquid Fertiliser">.

I like some humic compounds, but you can pick up dead <"Oak leaves, Alder "cones"> etc for free. Have a look at <"Secret Ingredient soup"> and <"Ripe for Picking: a Guide to Collecting your own Bountiful Botanicals">.

cheers Darrel

I use it - mainly on @X3NiTH ’s recommendation as a good black water extract and a source for additional humic and fulvic acids to promote livestock health.

The CO2 bit I’m not overly convinced of, but @X3NiTH did provide an explanation in one thread.

I still use it augmented with potassium phosphate, I dose it alternate days to my micro. I’ve not been running gaseous CO2 on the tank for a while and while it’s no substitute for that it’s better than nothing. You can overdose this stuff without killing thinks unlike glute formulas or ethanol based carbon dosing.

Hello @X3NiTH, you seem to have the most experience with this stuff (Micro-lift Bio CO2)... do you have any experience or explanation for why it would be recommended as something to control/scale back algae growth? It was recommended to me for this purpose today at the local shop.
Any advice and pointers greatly appreciated!
~C

Hello @X3NiTH, you seem to have the most experience with this stuff (Micro-lift Bio CO2)... do you have any experience or explanation for why it would be recommended as something to control/scale back algae growth? It was recommended to me for this purpose today at the local shop.
Any advice and pointers greatly appreciated!
~C

Think it’s what’s commonly referred to as a “sales pitch” . . . whilst I think it is a pretty good black water product, it will have absolutely no effect of algae.

Directly it will have no effect on the control of algae it’s not how the product works, however indirectly it can affect the growth of algae.

The indirect method is that you are increasing the health of plants by providing an extra source of carbon nutrition that the plant can then use without it having to sacrifice its own tissue’s to stay alive. The sacrifice of tissue into the water column and its degradation products may fuel the growth of algae.

Humic and Fulvic acids are both mild chelates so any free nutrient metal ions in the water column (I don’t chelate my trace elements other than iron) can become bound to it and when it’s up-taken by plants it’s coming along with a bonus ion that the plant may need or can use.

It’s a harmless augment to nutrient fertilisation that can increase plant health.

The way I see it is that ‘micronutrients are like a plate of chopped veg, very nutritious and will keep me alive but wrapping them up in a delicious pastry and making it a pie may get me fat.’

Augment not an Algaecide!

:)

Humic and Fulvic acids are both mild chelates so any free nutrient metal ions in the water column (I don’t chelate my trace elements other than iron) can become bound to it and when it’s up-taken by plants it’s coming along with a bonus ion that the plant may need or can use.
I am I correct to understand that algae are not as good as higher plants at taking up chelated minerals, or just that higher plants take them up easier if they are chelated?

~C

Back