• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Microsorum pteropus 'Minor'

Tim Harrison

Administrator
UKAPS Team
Anyone managed to get their hands on this variety yet...if so I'd love to know from where.

30083_microsorum_pteropus_minor.png

MICROSORUM PTEROPUS ´MINOR´
Growth height - 10 cm Origin country Zuchtform
Usage Aquascaping, NanoCube Type Farn
Family Scrophulariaceae Species Microsorum
Breeding Tochterpflanzen aus Blättern und Wurzeln Growth speed langsam
pH 5 - 8 Water hardness 4 - 18 °dh
Hints
Probably the smallest-leaved variety of Java fern is Microsorum pteropus 'Minor'. It has been propagated by selecting extremely small plants and is a feature for any aquascaping layout. This tiny plant is also perfect for use in a Nano Cube. The speed of growth is also very slow, requiring very little maintenance. In combination with different mosses you can create a "natural" miniature design.

I know a Dutch LFS webshop offering it.. It's i have enough different java sp. and not enough space or else i would have it.. :)
http://www.aquarium-planten.com/zoe...-beplanting/113/microsorum-pteropus-minor/151

They ship their plants realy very neatly and very well packed in a box with polystyrene (btw we call this peep foam :lol:) and in sealed bags.. The price €2.95 p/pot also is a laugh compaired to pound standards. I just do not know what their int. shipping will bring..

Anyway, if the shipping costs spoil the fun.. Drop me a line and we'll figur something out. I would pay €5.50 shipping. I need to order me some ferts anyway soon, so i can have that in one way with it.... Shipped Java in an envelope before to the UK, it will do.. ;)

I just did to, UK is not listed, but France is €15.50.. Now that's a bummer if you do not need a whole lot.. Anyway offer stands if you can't find it elsewhere near. :thumbup:
Envelope to the UK is +/- € 2.50

You could be right Marcel, and thanks both for looking it up for me.
I think 'Petit is a different variety that grows to about 20cm.
'Minor' is only supposed to grow to 10cm.
I think I need to do a bit more research...I may still take you up on your kind offer Marcel depending on what I find.
I've emailed Dennerle I'll see what they comeback with...
I had to use their email pro former and could only choose between Mrs and Lord as a salutation...Dennerle have elevated me to the peerage:D

I'm also growing Philipine at the time, it's should grow to 40cm but mine is already over 7 months old and it not yet grew taller than about 12 cm and it propagates realy fast fron the rhizome, it is easily to be kept small.. :) See the blurry male cherry as size comparance, 7 months old Phillipino..

DSCF7462 (Kopie).JPG

Thanks for the response guys...I knew there were plenty of varieties, but not so many small ones, there's some nice plants to choose from.
I'll have a think, but I guess it will probably come down to what's most accessible in the end...

Mic. pteropus is one of the most "morphing" tank-plants, I know of. There are likely hundreds of different ones going around the hobby, showing wider leaves,skinnier leaves, forked leaves, longer leaves, shorter leaves etc. etc.
Several types are showing shorter leaves than standard (whatever thas is !!). The mini/bonzai/short etc. varieties are not the one and only same one, but show clearly differencs in growth, when grown side by side. Be aware, that some of the types are not at all as generous growers as the standard.

Back