• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mini amano shrimp

Edvet

I'm going to pick up a bunch of mini-amano shrimp tonight. Will try them in the black and the white cube. Stories are they breed easily, if so i will put the surplus in the 400 gallon too.
Anyone any last minute tips?

Ooh, what species are mini Amano shrimp? If it isn't just young Amano shrimp your talking about, I've not heard of them before! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah it's a different species. They look like amano's just small, and they breed in fresh water. Mini japonica they're called. Except i can't find the species (cardinia, neocardinia??) or where they are from.

Here in holland they can be found easily, since they are easy in breeding a lot of people start with these and can't seem to get rid of them. I got mine locally, 30 for 10€, so as an experiment affordable.

Well, even if they work as hard as Amano's, they are tiny, so i guess you would need 40 or 50 to have the same weight as an amano, then they will probably clean the same amount.
I;m sure some member will get across to the mainland and take some home.

Do they look just like normal Amano shrimp but smaller?

Do the baby shrimp hatch out as miniature versions of the adults like with cherry shrimp, or do the young have a larval stage?

I'm intrigued as I can't find much on "mini Amano shrimp" on the web!

Do they look just like normal Amano shrimp but smaller?

Do the baby shrimp hatch out as miniature versions of the adults like with cherry shrimp, or do the young have a larval stage?

I'm intrigued as I can't find much on "mini Amano shrimp" on the web!

Try mini Japonica

Still not much luck really! One of the first results is just this thread lol. There's also a London Fish Keeping Club forum thread from 2010 discussing this species, with a few members names I recognise, but still no real info.

Will be interesting to see if more info on this species becomes available in the future .

Back