• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixed Carpet photos

Hi guys, I am trying to plan my next scape and have thought about a mixed carpet of plants, trying to source some photos, if you have seen any mixed carpet tanks or grown one yourself post them here. I am also unsure if I should truely mix the carpet up or plant in zones and let them creep into each other.

Thanks

Great question, I'm also planning a new scape and was also thinking about a mixed carpet. So I'm very interested to see the upcoming photo's of ukaps members

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (4) met Tapatalk

I like mixed carpets, I think they work well...below mixed carpet of Hydrocotyle sp."Japan", Echinodorus tenellus, Glossostigma elatinoides, and Staurogyne repens.
Planting in discrete zones and allowing it to interdigitate will give you a different effect than planting it all mixed up together, it depends on the look you're after. Mine was planted mixed up.

32040896040_b95a54a6ed_c.jpg

I like mixed carpets, I think they work well...below mixed carpet of Hydrocotyle sp."Japan", Echinodorus tenellus, Glossostigma elatinoides, and Staurogyne repens.
Planting in discrete zones and allowing it to interdigitate will give you a different effect than planting it all mixed up together, it depends on the look you're after. Mine was planted mixed up.

upload_2017-6-19_9-6-56-png.106022

Cant see your photo!

If you have access to Takashi Amano Nature Aquarium World book series, he does a quite lot of mixed planting where there are no apparent borders or zones - think wild meadow
These are still some of my favourite nature aquarium designs
(not a diorama fan here ;) )

I think Mark Evans also did some mixed carpet though I can't recall which journal - it will always result in a more textured appearance than a mono-planting

Hi guys, I am trying to plan my next scape and have thought about a mixed carpet of plants, trying to source some photos, if you have seen any mixed carpet tanks or grown one yourself post them here. I am also unsure if I should truely mix the carpet up or plant in zones and let them creep into each other.

Thanks
I mixed HC with Eleocharis but HC took over completely. In a second attempt I mixed Monte Carlo with Eleocharis and Marsilea hirsuta, and this time MC did the job alone... So, maybe these combinations are not the best for mixing

If you have access to Takashi Amano Nature Aquarium World book series, he does a quite lot of mixed planting where there are no apparent borders or zones - think wild meadow
These are still some of my favourite nature aquarium designs
(not a diorama fan here ;) )

I think Mark Evans also did some mixed carpet though I can't recall which journal - it will always result in a more textured appearance than a mono-planting

Thanks for the lead on the Amano books, I will have to try source a copy, they dont seem widely available online, I am guessing they are older books, I wonder if the public library in Perth will have them, I did just purchase Nature Aquarium Complete Works 1985-2009!

How about now?

I see it now, that looks nice, thanks, I think I will go with zones and hope they creep to create a mix while still staying slightly dominate in areas.

The edition I have is copyrighted 1996 but the preface is 1992 so that is a more likely original publication date ... just to give you a relative timeline,
Book (1) overview of all size aquariums & basic discussion (nothing you won't have read elsewhere by now, though unique at the time)
Book 2 100mm - 350mm, 400mm - 450mm, 400mm - 550mm cubic aquariums, 600mm - 750mm aquariums
Book 3 900mm - 1200mm aquariums, 1800mm - 5500mm aquariums

I vaguely recall looking at the book you have but not well enough to compare (looking at online commentary seems most of these photos are from 2002 onwards & some complaints on colour (over) saturation in the English edition vs the more expensive Japanese edition)

The edition I have is copyrighted 1996 but the preface is 1992 so that is a more likely original publication date ... just to give you a relative timeline,
Book (1) overview of all size aquariums & basic discussion (nothing you won't have read elsewhere by now, though unique at the time)
Book 2 100mm - 350mm, 400mm - 450mm, 400mm - 550mm cubic aquariums, 600mm - 750mm aquariums

I vaguely recall looking at the book you have but not well enough to compare (looking at online commentary seems most of these photos are from 2002 onwards & some complaints on colour (over) saturation in the English edition vs the more expensive Japanese edition)

Cheers for the info, I ordered the "Nature Aquarium Complete Works 1985-2009" book from Book Depository so will take a few weeks to get to Australia, I did see Book 1 - 3 on amazon but delivery to Australia was more expensive than the physical book, will keep an eye out tho, book 2 really interests me as I only keep small aquariums

Managed to get a copy of book 1 and 2, great books, Takashi Amano did some wonderful stuff way back when I was only a young kid.

Back