• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mixed substrate for Shrimps question.

Im in the process of getting everything together for a shrimp tank... it will be taiwan bees initially.
I already have a bag of akadama but I dont like the colour of it so i was contemplating doing a scaping technique with it.... the plan is to put the lower layer (half) in as akadama, and then dust it in around the perimeter by 1cm so it does not show at the edges. Then topping the second half with a darker active shrimp substrate. I will be planting small plants but Im hoping that by using pincettes I will not drag any akadama up into the top level.

I would appreciate any thoughts and advice from any shrimp guys :)
Thanks.

I've used that technique before and it's worked quite well, but it is inevitable that the akadama will come through at some point. You have to be extremely careful in everything that you do, especially with water changes. I'd add 2 layers on top of the Akadama to be extra safe.

I mean double the amount on top of the Akadama, e.g if Akadama layer was 1 inch thick, add 2 inches of whatever you use to cap it.

Back