• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Molly with potential dropsy? What to do.

This is absolutely devastating - I do not want the fish to suffer, but equally want to try and fix the issue is possible.

I am unsure whether to quarantine and some say yes, some say no - and I am so worried about the other fish getting it now :(

Okay, I will set the tank up now. I have put filter media from current tank in the old filter so I hope that works.

I have set up my old tank, it is 60 litres but I've just filled it to 30. Popped thermometer and filter on. Have dosed with just under 1ml of Sachem prime (as 40litres to 1ml). Popped a few floating plants in will checkin a hour to see if I should put fish in.

I’d use less new tap water and add some water from your existing tank, so that the water in the hospital tank isn’t too different to the water that your fish is coming from.

I added some of the tank water to his tank. He is in there now, lying on his side, occasionally he will move and swim a bit bit whenever he is resting he is on the bottom, lopsided.

I am so sad, poor little thing :( Just a few days ago he was busy racing around.

Morning, sadly I think he didn't make it. He isn't gasping for breath and laying still on his side. He's soft though and not hard.

It's taken me ages to see all three of the other Molly these morning, one was hiding and now it has come up to eat I am happy, but I think I noticed a pen tip size red dot on it's head, so I am feeling disheartened and expecting the same.

The Esher 2000 will arrive and I will just treat the whole tank as by the sounds of it, and from what I'm feeling, something is going on internally.

Will the fry (who are in a little breeding box to ensure they get food and not eaten) by killed by the Esher?

The Esha shouldn’t be a problem for the fry. Sorry about your fish, you are doing the best you can,

Thought I should update as so many of you have given such helpful advice and shared your knowledge.

A week later and so far everything seems fine. Fry are still alive, all the remaining fish are active.

Looking into seeing if I can get some live food - would frozen blood worms be a good supplement?

would frozen blood worms be a good supplement?
Fish love bloodworms, I would only give them as a treat though; they aren't the most nutritious things, but are fine in moderation. Live/frozen food can also sometimes encourage breeding behaviour in certain fish.

Good quality pellets are generally balanced well in terms of vitamin/nutrient content, so they are more appropriate for long-term feeding. I personally think it's best to feed live/frozen a couple times a week, and use a good quality pellet for the rest. If you wanted to go a step further, it's quite easy to breed grindal worms, so you could cultivate your own live worms. These should also be more nutritious since you have control of what the worms eat.

Adding to what xZaiox has said above, I would put the cube in some boiling water and then strain it through a fine mesh to get just the blood worms and not the nasty water that comes with them in the cube.
This means you dont add that water to your tank, and using boiling water also kills off anything that might have tried to hitchhike along into your tank.
Avoid touching the blood worms directly, they can cause strong allergical reactions even in people who are not normally allergic to things.

Thank you, will look into doing that.

So far things seems good again, all 4 Cory are active, they are sweet, each of the younger ones has paired off with one of my older fish at the moment. One of the younger Cory has just one eye (from the day I got it) but is going fine.

The remaining three Molly are fine and active. Babies are growing very slowly and are still in a separate 'box' within the aquarium as not sure if they'd be safe from other fish yet.

Only annoying thing is every day I have to remove this hair like algae that grows wild!

After a month of everything being fine, today I woke up to another idea fish, one of my young cores, the one without an eye.

No signs of anything wrong before.

One of my Molly is also completely missing, can't find it anywhere in the tank and I've had a GOOD look.

Checked water - parameters are no different to normal, no ammonia etc.

So confused and sad.

All the fish have been super active and happy up until now.

EDIT - I just found the other Molly on the floor outside my tank! What on earth I've never seen them jump?

Absolutely devastated.

Last edited:
Im glad to hear things have been fine for the most part although im sorry about your jumper.
Maybe it was chased out by one of the others, or got startled somehow? Do the lights turn on suddenly or do they gradually come on?
The corners are often where the fish jump out the most, so perhaps you could fasten a little net over the corners if youre worried about more of them going airborne.
I think the one you lost to sickness a while ago was a one-off, and it does seem that way if you havent lost any more.

Let us know if there is something we can do to assist 💕

Sorry for hopping in this late and condolences on losing a dear Molly... But dropsy in fish or I guess more to say fish being susceptible to developing dropsy could be something genetic such as a bad immune system or virus infection, liver damage by internal parasites or bacterial infection.

In most cases, once it shows it already has damaged organs that regulate the fluid retention and it's about incurable and the fish is too far gone and too weak to recover anyway. Quarantine is always a must but treating it successfully is very rare and since the diagnosis why it developed dropsy is about impossible to determine from the outside if it is symptomatic of an underlying disease.

When you do your regular water changes and good husbandry anyway and all other fish look healthy and fit you can rule out bad water quality and parasites etc. Then it most likely is of genetic causes and a fish with an unfortunate immune system and or bad working internal organs.

Never a nice thing to say and always sounds harsh but euthanizing it is the most fish-worthy end to give it. Give it a nice warm bath with some drops of clove oil and it will slowly fall asleep within less than an hour and never wake up. 😢IMHO a better death than gambling over longer terms with all kinds of medication.

If parasite or bacterial infection is the cause then these symptoms would actually show long before dropsy develops. And your Cory missing an eye could be such a symptom... I also once bought a group of Cory's and noticed at home that 1 was missing an eye... After a while, it got worse and developed fungus on its skin and started flashing and died. Flashing is scratching with its body against surfaces, rocks and or wood.

I took a skin sample from the dead fish and looked at it under a microscope and found a "Trichodina" parasite. In larger fish this parasite likes to live in the fish gills and stay undetected, on smaller fish the can live all over the body and cause skin problems, if it ends up in the eye it will lose this eye. If untreated it will cause dead... Trichodina is a very common parasite usually latently present and healthy larger fish can take a few without showing problems. For tiny fish, this parasite seems to be a devastating monster... The only way to find out is a skin sample and a microscope.

Anyway... Infected fish that are more free swimming can also jump instead to try to get rid of an itch. Do your fish flash? Maybe you interpret this as active playful behaviour? Corry sometimes likes to gulp air, this also looks like jumping or could end up in an actual jump if it has an itch...

So Corry, missing eye, then missing fish? Flashing Jumping?

Fortunately, treatment is very easy and effective with Praziquantel... This is for the rest also a very mild medication with no negative side effects. Thus you can take a gamble and just give it a try... Then buy a bag of fluke solve read the description and add the recommended dose, the description says the treatment should be 24 hours only and do a water change. But this is for Flukes only...

In the case of Trichodina infection, you need to leave the same dose in the tank for 14 days without a water change. After 14 days change the water...
Then Fluke Solve becomes Trichodina Solve... :)

Some fish are known jumpers eg Killifish but most fish may do if spooked as said, you could have a small table lamp in the room to come on say 30 minutes before tank lights on and off,even with the mesh it will keep the stress levels down

Back