• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monolithic retreat - For FREE - everything must Go

Just back from the PET show, and aquatics had 2 stands. Very good deals though from JBL, got two bottles of JBL Ferropol 625ml for £10. And 2 airpumps from BKKoi for £10.

Freaked out earlier while looking at the tank, noticed something wriggling down one of the slate monoliths. Cue the turkey baster to grab it and remove it. Was a Rat tailed Maggot, no idea where it came from. Gave it to the wakins to eat.
Did some more planting for the top level with a few plants from the garden.
And spent an hour with the little one digging up ants nests to get to the eggs. Fish enjoyed them alot - Added a few female guppies to start off some fry.
Wants to go hunting for more ants eggs tommorrow, as he really enjoyed it.

Have been presoaking alot of wood in one of the snail breeding tubs. And they are nice and covered in Algae and lots of snail egg sacs covering them.
Took the Little one to MA last week, as he was sad after one of his wakins passed away. He did say he wanted another goldfish. And after seeing all the fish and being able to name most of them. He settled on some Sunset female guppies, I really like them as they are the same color as one of my fave fish. The sunset honey gourami.
He did have the predictable Nemo hissy fit, after seeing the tank with them in. Had to explain we did not have the right tank to keep them in.

Been reading a few of Heiko blogs on natural planting, knew I was not alone in this.
I am loving how the different mosses are growing around the marimo balls etc.
And Have simply let the presoaked bogwood settle where it landed. And definetely feels more natural.
This is not going to be a prestine spotless tank, and will be rather messy. Find that shrimp and fish prefer a level of mulm in the tank to root around in.
There are parts of the tank that are very very dark and overshadowed by the flaoting plants rafts.
Other parts are bright and airy feel to them.
The Planted moss shelves are working great and using ceramic rings are anchors is very interesting, as it is providing lots of places for organisms to hide in and shrimp to explore.
I have provided so many caves and nooks and crannies in this scape using the varied techniques used in the scaping and placement of the hardscape.
And since 95% of the lighting in within the tank and under the water line, I can place it where I want/need it to be. I have a few LED spotlights trained on ccertain areas and in others I am using LED Lightbars.
The amount of live food living within the tank is very interesting to watch, as the fish are constantly rooting around to find them.
My little boy really enjoys helping out with this, and since it is locked away he knows when he can ask to do something with me. And he enjoys feeding the fish from the live food buckets,tubs etc. And is hooked on sifting for ant eggs.

Quick pix of one of the shrimp from last night. Think it was about to molt.
IMAG1262_zps69ce3bf5.jpg

Sounds like its going well Gill, and giving you a boost after recent events :)

It is nice to put the radio on and relax for a few hours.
After todays latest episode with the police, it was very relaxing.

took a few pix just now. just with my phone.
One of the LED's has failed so will replace with another light bar. Excuse the Jelly fish, little one purchased them at the PET show and they must live in the tank.
IMAG1274_zps38268dea.jpg

IMAG1277_zps888b59d1.jpg

Baskets are growing really well, and are home to lots of critters.
IMAG1271_zpsa101958b.jpg

The things we have to do for our kids :) looks really good gill.

Seriously, he keeps wanting to put his dinosaurs in it. His T-Rex you can see on guard duty.
There are lots of toy jelly fish bobbing around the surface that he found in poundland. He is adamant that we have to buy him a cubic marine jellyfish system, as he loves watching the videos on youtube

he already has a scaping pit in the garden, then he spends his time digging up and planting and hardscaping.

Reactions: tim
Fish order has just been sent over, waiting to see what can be fulfilled by my transhipper.
I have added a rather contraversial fish to the order, will see what happens with them. Curious as to How they will look and if techniques have been improved upon, in the last 6 years.

Reactions: tim
Hyancinth has melted today, so will be moving it to the mozzy barrel in the morning. And replacing with Salvinia instead and small water lettuce

Very Excited, New foods from nathan at PFK arrived to test out for the month. Will get an indepth research from me. I already have an inkling to who made the food. But will only know for def, once the results are published.

And Had a Message that fish will arrive on the 20th, So more good stuff.
Is Making it a little easier to cope with everything, and looking forward to tonight.

Oh and I have some fish coming from Aquabid next week :)

Tired of not winning any of the externals I am bidding on. So will be Making My Own over the weekend. Already found the bits and peices and found a 50Litre Lockable bin to be the canister, just need to grab a few taps from the range.

I have made 3 externals so far and they are all packed away untill needed - Nah nah Nah Nah Nah

This one, is just going to be on a larger scale.
Going to use the trickle method and use baskets from you guessed it, the pound shop. As they are the right size for the bucket.
The Buckets are What we indian/asian people use for storing our sacks of flour in. And they have lockable lids which helps. And is Handy that the warehouse that sells them is nearby.
Will be using an old pond pump from years ago that still works fine. And have Experimented with Hozelock Click/Lock fittings and they work perfectly for a sump, and a jubilee clip will suffice to secure it.

Filter made and plumbed in. New glassware fits perfectly onto hozelock piping, so that has saved me buying pond piping for this.

Failed Miserably, garage was flooded this morning. so turned it off, and switched the APS on for now.

Back