• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monsanto

ghostsword

The tank is a optiwhite tank, 60x45x45.

For substrate I have used akadama at the back, nothing in front yet, but will be clear sand.

The rocks are seiryu rocks, will get some more for the sides. Wood is manzanita

For filtration I am using a Eheim Classic 2017 and a hang on filter by aquaone.

Currently using just led lights, very low light at the moment as it has no plants.

The plan is to plant crypts at the back, with some echinodorus vesuvius and vallis nana, moss on the rocks and wood.

Will place a large needle leaf fern in the middle.

Now, some pictures.

Empty tank
6355420725_41d7737560.jpg
Step1 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6355421673_9cef894936.jpg
Step3 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

To raise the slope I have used gravel inside a nylon sock
6355422129_8b7021f6e0.jpg
Step4 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

6355422575_ed6c607cd7.jpg
Step5 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Then some gravel around it
6355423579_f518afde24.jpg
Step7 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Wood and rocks placed, to hold the akadama
6355425175_6c9934750e.jpg
Step9 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

Filled with water, the akadama had been washed prior, so the water is not murky
6355425857_1094db7d82.jpg
Step10 by GHOSTSWORD, on Flickr

A short video below.

As I had saved the water from the tank, prior to the rescape, and the filters have the media untouched, I placed the fish on the tank. Currently it has two angel fish and 6 corydoras.

The fish are to be replaced with something more suitable.

Got some plants at aquatics live, but after seeing some of the 60l scapes, at the comp, I may rip apart and try again.

Need to think about what I want to do, and plan properly.

Maybe keep the mound on the left and keep the right side empty, with maybe a carpet of hairgrass or just gravel.

This is a hard one to sort out. :)

Hi Luis, I wonder if you would be better using Cat litter in your bags as this might add to the stability & biological benefit of the tank?
You can also get Lieca from some garden centres that is like a big grain cat litter & about half of the bag will float & half sink. So that might be even better.

I think you can leave it as it is, cover the wood in java moss, add some stems in the back, a HC/HM mix in the front and some decorative sand. You can check the classic moss scape tutorial on Amano's complete works book since you have it. :)

Good luck,
Mike

Yeah, the idea of a hc mix would be good but the thing is light, I want the tank to run with just 50w of light, t5's.

At the back I to be a mix of crypts and maybe Crinum, some stems but not many.

Regarding the gravel replacement with cat litter, never used cat liter before, may buy some at telco and try it out. It just needs to soak right?

I will be catching the fish tonight, got 5 large cories there, need to take them to the shop. Also got two small angels, they will also need to go.

I really want the decorative sand in front, so it is something that I need to plan for, however a hairgrass carpet would have looked good also, with some scattered pieces of Rock.

Great fish, very happy on the tank by themselves. :) need more.

They are always fighting, not really shoallers.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

your microdevario will jump. great fish, non stop blurs in my tank- they terrorised my boraras though.

darren636 said:
your microdevario will jump. great fish, non stop blurs in my tank- they terrorised my boraras though.

They are really nice and stay on the bottom of the tank, they like shade. :) very active fish.

Also got green rasboras, 16 of them, really small, and stay on the top part of the tank. :)

The harlequins rasboras are the largest fish on the tank, so now they look odd.

I don't know what is the secret of success, but the secret of failure is trying to please the world!

my microdevario stay near the surface, constantly having little green arguments with each other :)

Yeah, they are always fighting. Fast looking, but mine do not goto to the top, they stay under the wood and plants.

Hi Luis,
Well to start off I need to say that I am also Portuguese and new to this forum :)
At the start I didn't have lot's of expectations about the tank because I didn't know if it would look to empty, then I started to scroll down and was amazed on what I saw, the jungle you planted fit just perfectly!
We have to say the Portuguese just have it in them ;) haha
I'll stay tuned for more updates.

warman98 said:
Hi Luis,
Well to start off I need to say that I am also Portuguese and new to this forum :)

Bem vindo amigo!

Thanks for the comments. The tank still has a way to go, but it seems to be settling well. I really like jungles, and enjoy a full tank, although I will need to one day to do a iwagumi. :)

Luis what happened to the tank with the bonsai you were going to set up ?

Mortis said:
Luis what happened to the tank with the bonsai you were going to set up ?

I can get wter cypress that would look good, but cannot sort out the hill. Would need a piece of rock (or rocks) that would be at least 50cm tall to be good on this tank.

Got a couple of shallows that I can use for this, but the best would be to find the rock first then get a tank made for it.

A large piece of seiryu stone tall at 50cm and about 20cm wide would be good, or to use cement puty to glue large stones and make what I want.

Maybe for the summer, with a iwagumi under the water.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

ghostsword said:
I can get wter cypress that would look good, but cannot sort out the hill. Would need a piece of rock (or rocks) that would be at least 50cm tall to be good on this tank.

Got a couple of shallows that I can use for this, but the best would be to find the rock first then get a tank made for it.

A large piece of seiryu stone tall at 50cm and about 20cm wide would be good, or to use cement puty to glue large stones and make what I want.

Maybe for the summer, with a iwagumi under the water.

Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year

Going to make a visit to this place http://www.ced.ltd.ukwhen they open again after the Xmas break Luis you are welcome to come along and have a look

Back