• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Monte Carlo planting advise needed

MC dry start photo
You don't need to go quite this dense, but definitely much more than what you've got ...
(you can also see how dry soil is at start, if you follow this tank progress through the dry start, you can see the soil getting much wetter ... as plants establish & there's daily growth, they will uptake some water from soil)

Or if you've still a sealed MC pot, wait for soil to dry out before adding more MC

As mentioned, wet soil will often mold (less likely if you're in an arid country) BUT you can't just stop spraying as those delicate leaves may dry (causing severe leaf damage) - soil should still have that pebbled appearance, it only needs to be damp not wet

As the tank is cling filmed, there isn't much water loss, so if you begin with too wet soil, then mist twice daily, you'll soon need to drain off water

I'll try and allow it to dry out a bit over the next couple of days - maybe lift the cling wrap for 10 mins a day to allow it to air and evaporate a bit before spaying and closing again.

I do have a sealed pot of MC still however it's looking like it's in pretty poor condition upon arrival. I also covered the rest of the first pot in a bowl with a bit of water in the bottom so I should still have some usable stems from that.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll keep this thread updated as I see changes in the growth.

As the tank is cling filmed, there isn't much water loss, so if you begin with too wet soil, then mist twice daily, you'll soon need to drain off water

I've opened up a bit of a gap around the cling film to allow better air exchange and hopefully allow some of the water to evaporate (I might even use the tanks plastic lid because it has a small gap around the edges). Humidity in the tank is holding at 70% near the top.

Plenty of new leaf growth happening so far however the roots don't show any signs of making their way underneath the soil yet :D I guess this part is what takes the most time.

Hi all,

I'm about a week and a half into the DSM now. Quite a bit of new growth but the roots are still showing no signs of making their way into the substrate :/ how long do the roots usually take to anchor and pull the plant into the soil?

Many thanks

Just started DSM
upload_2018-7-3_12-48-9.png

12 weeks later at flooding

upload_2018-7-3_12-49-57.png

then 12 weeks later again after flood

upload_2018-7-3_12-52-27.png

I have a monte carlo capet over a three foot length tank and its grown to be abou t1.5-2 inch thick. Its so thick the shrimp seem to like climbing under it! at what point do people trim it back? purely asthetic taste or is it best kept not too thick as the the underlayer dying off?

whoops too late

Has it started to light up ? been there got the T shirt. Time to cut your losses replant the area IMO, bit of a pain esp for the scrimp, but good time to give the substrate exposed a good Vac/clean

Has it started to light up ? been there got the T shirt. Time to cut your losses replant the area IMO, bit of a pain esp for the scrimp, but good time to give the substrate exposed a good Vac/clean
not its about inch and half thick of rich green and only a slight lightening up here and there ill post a pic later when get home

12 weeks later at flooding

I'm starting to see roots against the glass in the front of the tank below the substrate now, so all is going well. I'll probably leave it another 3-4 weeks for a total of about 8 before flooding.

Some slight signs of a bit of fungus potentially on a couple of leaves but nothing serious. I'm making sure I aerate once or twice daily. I could potentially leave the lid off permanently and just do additional sprays as humidity is dipping no lower than 68% even with the lid off.

I'm starting to see roots against the glass in the front of the tank below the substrate now, so all is going well. I'll probably leave it another 3-4 weeks for a total of about 8 before flooding.

Some slight signs of a bit of fungus potentially on a couple of leaves but nothing serious. I'm making sure I aerate once or twice daily. I could potentially leave the lid off permanently and just do additional sprays as humidity is dipping no lower than 68% even with the lid off.

I found as the DSM progressed the need to keep the humidity as high wasnt as critical esp when the plants have a decent roots going into the substrate, even left the lid of for over 24hrs at times

Back